USPS Express Delivery!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:34 AM   #11
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Clay,

As I stated in my post it does depend on what is in the box. LIke I said Fed-Ex is now the carrier of USPS packages. If the package is a live animal or perishable they will not carry it. When this happens the USPS has to schedule a flight on another carrier from the Airport to get the package there. I can not speak about all express packages but this is the fact of why LIve animals and Perishables can not be guaranteed overnight any longer. I can send a package express to anywhere and it will arrive next day. Now if I mark that same package legally for shipping Live harmless Reptiles the package will not get there until second day.

Old 04-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
Pennebaker
No shipping service is perfect these days.

The changing of the labels could be due to employees not knowing the change of policy so that when it gets to the airport, it gets changed.
They no longer guarantee overnight service for animals, period. Everything Rob said.

However, I do still use them occasionally as well--and even like them. Especially during the winter, if I was shipping from NM to AZ say--put it in with ups or airborne, and it goes to the hub in michigan or ohio (freezing) then back to AZ. Use usps and it goes on a direct flight--warm to warm.
I also think that they are still safe to use if you drive your boxes down to the airport PO--the people there are typically experienced at handling animals since they do most farm delivery service. They've always taken good care of me and boxes that go usps have consistantly shown up more temperature friendly than UPS or Fed ex or airborne. And all those other shippers tend to just leave boxes at the door--sometimes they do not even ring the bell.
Also, you can put a hold on the box at the recipients local PO--that way they get a phone call as soon as it arrives and can go pick it up--instead of waiting around for a day or two not knowing when it will get there.
It is a shame that they cannot guarantee overnight service any longer, but I have not completely written them off.

Just my experience
dana

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!