prey size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
lucky8926
prey size

I know this has been discussed before, but what size rat do you think my bp could take? His girth on the biggest part of his body is about 3 1/2 inches. Right now I am feeding him rat pups but don't know if I should step up to weaned or small rats because i'm not really sure what the girth of them are. They only give the length and weight of them on the feeder sites.

-Troy

Old 12-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
legalbabygirl77
dumb ?

This may sound like a dumb ?, but when you talked about his girth, are you talking circumference or diameter? If you are talking he is 3 1/2 inches across at the thickest point, I would say you are definitely safe moving up to a small rat for sure from a feeder site. I get mine from Big Apple Herp and I know they have been anywhere from about the size of 1 1/2 jumbo mice to 2 times the size of a jumbo mouse, so my boas have done fine on them... No luck with my ball yet, though (she hasn't started eating yet again, but is still maintaining well at 1400 gms). If he is 3 1/2 inches around, I would see how many rat pups he has been eating... If you are noticing that he is eating a couple and still seeming to be stalking quite a bit, I would step up to the next larger prey item.... I know a good rule of thumb is usually the "nothing larger than their girth", as you seem to already know from your post. I hope this is somewhat helpful...
Melanie Brown

Old 12-19-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
lucky8926
I guess I should've been clearer, sorry. He is 3 1/3 around not wide. He does't really do any "cruising around" after he eats but afterwards the lump is there but not real big. He has been eating the same size rats now since he was hatched 6 months ago.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
legalbabygirl77
Troy-
I would say stick with what you have him on for now. If he is looking for something larger, you would notice that about 2-3 days after feeding, you would wake up to him staring at you like, "hey, where's my food!!!!" lol... I know my bp has done that before when she decides she is really hungry, usually right after she has come off of her winter fast. I would say when you notice that he is eating around 3 maybe 4 at a feeding, I would say it is safe to step him up to the weaned rats, as they seem to be the size of the large pup rats to 1 1/2 of the large pup rats. That way you avoid any potential digestive problems from a prey item that is too large. That is what I have done in the past with my snakes, when they seem to eat a larger amount of a prey item, then I know it is safe to move them up to a larger prey item. I still go by the girth rule, but I also prefer to feed them several smaller items rather than one huge item. That is my personal preference. I feel they can digest it better that way, but that is just me. Some people may say they can digest it all the same. My best suggestion is to watch your snake closely. From the signs above, I think you will find as he grows the best ways to determine the size of food to offer to him. I hope this is helpful.
Melanie Brown

Old 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
kare
Oh Boy I can Identify with That

My female ball (purchased at NARBC this past Oct. from Reptile Depot) went on a hunger strike for me. I had the vet (hour drive away) check her out to make sure there were no interior problems - she's a farm raised girl. And got a clean bill of health with a " keep trying, when she's ready to eat, she won't hesitate" prescription. I finally have tempted her with live weaned rats - fairly large. She downs one (usually on Sat.) and then retires to the hide hut. On Sunday, she peers at me with that "I want another!" look. Of course, I give her a second. That gives her a nice little lump in her belly. LOL. (the first one never seems to show) She's doing great, now. Was down about 45g and has put it back on fast. (she's in the 500g range)
Gotta love 'em.
Kare

Old 12-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
legalbabygirl77
good to know

That is too funny! I know the first time my girl did that to me, I was freaking out! When we first got her, she wasn't eating, and I didn't know what was wrong with her. My husband was the one who had dealt with snakes before, so I knew absolutely nothing about them. To me, an animal that refused food for more than a couple of days was doomed... lol, the things we learn. Then, when she started eating, and gave me that look that said, hey, where's my food? I laughed and told my husband if we didn't make it to the store that day to get feeders, she might eat me for lunch... ha ha I just remember all the questions I had starting out and I know it is good to have people to fall back on who have the knowledge about the snakes to share. And I love hearing about the stories and finding out about the different personalities that different people's snakes have. I think it is so funny sometimes. Good luck with your girl!
Melanie Brown

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!