Iguana Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
TheHonestPirate1
Iguana Question

SO i'm considering getting an iguana, however, the fact that I see a lot of information saying they get aggressive during breeding season is slightly off putting to me. I have experience with savannah monitors and medically significant spiders and centipedes, however I read on an iguana website that they can be "extremely dangerous" is that true? I don't think of iguanas as being "extremely" dangerous but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
Edwardo
Extremely dangerous, is an overly exaggerated quote to me, it also may mean something different to you then it does to me. I'm keeping 4 of them at the moment.
Can and will they bite you, yes.
Are some just more aggressive and stay that way then others, yes.

If that's your biggest concern about not getting one, you need do more homework and research.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
Lucille
Jarod,
Kudos to you for doing research ahead of the fact, too many iggy owners don't do that and can't cope when the cute tiny hatchling gets big.
That being said, you have to consider how much time, space, effort and money you want to put into this lizard. You can develop handling skills, and create a dividable cage. But if the possibility of significant aggression on the part of a large lizard wasn't what you had in mind, now is the time to perhaps explore other choices of lizard.
One lizard that is medium sized and was not mentioned on your other thread are blue tongue skinks, and a pair of those would love the enclosure you have currently.

You might want to contact a local reptile group and see if anyone has large lizards, talk to them and even go over and see how you feel about handling their lizards if they invite you to do so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!