Anyone know if you can own an owl? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip
By the way Tom,, what did you hunt with your Eagle Owl ?
I was training it for a "friend" and never got to hunt it. When I had it on released rodents, he took it back again. The last I heard was that he did not take it any further - tried a little but resorted to keeping it as a non-hunting pet. I lost touch with him but later heard that he'd become bored with it and released it. A good illustration of a person ill-suited for the hobby. Also the last bird of prey I trained for anyone.
A side-note - I found the eagle-owl to be the most challenging to train to the glove, it seemed so disinterested and wasn't as keyed to food as other raptors. Maybe a nocturnal thing, not sure.
I agree with what you guys are saying: Don't do it if you can't fly it everyday, people are idiots when it comes to captive raptors, make sure you understand the commitment you are taking on, and that most people in this day and age can not commit the required time.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
TomO
I never had the license for a peregrine or lanner. My favorite of the few I had though was a Whalbergs eagle.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #13
cthulhu77
I was involved with a Bay winged Hawk* breeding program for a long time, and I fell so much in love with those birds I lost my taste for falcons...did fly a lagger for a while, never tried a lanner...pretty little things, but not much good hunting down here in zoniville !
Am really intrigued by some of the smaller eagles...the ferruginous doesn't have the "oomph" for the big jacks, and a golden is out of my sights with all the ridiculous paperwork the feds require (on top of the already huge pile of permits I have to have ) so, maybe a steppe eagle ...it's either that or back to the accipiters for me !
greg

*note: while you can still legally remove these from the wild, I think it is morally quite wrong...they are being hurt immensely by the new construction going up...hundreds dead from power lines in Tucson...the power companies are slowly upgrading their poles, but to tax a wild source at this time is wrong!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!