IL Herp act -- hobbyist permit required for non-native species? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
storycrafter
IL Herp act -- hobbyist permit required for non-native species?

I've gone over the admin rules time and again for the new(ish) Illinois Herptile law. I just can't be certain if I'm reading it right that I don't need a hobbyist license if I'm not keeping non-native fauna. I'm considering keeping and breeding Leioheterodon.

If I do need the permit, any experience on how long those permits take to get approved?

Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Looks like permits are only needed for IL native herps.

I get that from a quick read of all this:
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/i...erps-act#s5010

I.e. you "don't need a hobbyist license if I'm not keeping native fauna." I think you had an extra negative in there.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
elena
Yes, here in Illinois, no permit is required to keep, breed and sell non-native, non-venomous herps.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
storycrafter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Looks like permits are only needed for IL native herps.

I get that from a quick read of all this:
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/i...erps-act#s5010
Yeah, but there are more specifics in the administrative rules. Making me refer back to the original statue has helped though, since it is much clearer there that it's for non-native fauna

Quote:
I.e. you "don't need a hobbyist license if I'm not keeping native fauna." I think you had an extra negative in there.
I was in a notty mood I guess.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
storycrafter
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Yes, here in Illinois, no permit is required to keep, breed and sell non-native, non-venomous herps.
Fantastic, thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!