Genetic stripe litter. Didn't produce - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
ShadowAceD
"The Super Stripe gene first appeared in the US in the mid 90’s when a collector named Matt Jablonski acquired a reverse stripe boa and a Super Stripe from Central America, then believed to be the Yucatan Peninsula. The founding Super Stripe entered one collection where he successfully bred to produce a group of heterozygous offspring. Of the small number of heterozygous offspring produced, some were striped themselves and some were not. The amount of striping ranged from two connected saddles, to 3/4 body length. Our group of heterozygous offspring are the first to produce Super Stripes since the gene was originally proven."

Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
allreptiles1966
Maybe Matts line should be called Jablonski super stripe line. I do believe since hypo x hypo creates super hypos and mot to mot are super mots, that Matt shouldn't be able to coin the phrase "super" . That almost would sound like he created all the supers. At least to people who don't know the whole difference. Maybe Jablonski supers stripes and Consolini super stripes. And just advertise they might not be compatible . Or,breed the two lines and see what happens? Just my 2 cents.

Thank you again James. I will try to pick up another of Nixons het stripes and see what happens.

I was hoping the genetic stripe and sunglow jungle would make a few crazy babies.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
JCCS
This is all fine and good but, in the 90's, Jablonski wasn't referring to the manner in which the mutation is passed on, but the quality of the animal's appearance. Therefore it isn't a description of the homozygous status, but the name of a line. As stated before not all homozygous forms of incomplete dominant mutations are referred to as supers, take for examples the Marrons and Roswells. They are more accurately named as the homozygous form bears the mutation name and the heterozygous forms are called hets for the mutation.

This hobby is really convoluted and confusion is easy to come by. Whenever confusion can be avoided, it is a good idea to avoid it. Just because it would generally be accepted to call an animal something, if it would create confusion and there is an easy way around it, that path is probably wisest. Again, I'm not being argumentative as anyone can do what they wish. I'm simply trying to help someone avoid problems in the future over things I've seen happen in the past.

Jablonski's Superstripes are a very well established line here in the States and even more so in Europe. The possibility for confusion is pretty high.

Chris

Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
JPCBoas
Just to clear the air. In all my adds that I have with the stripes up for sale they are all advertised as FULL STRIPE and not super stripe to avoid confussion. I have been listing them that way for the past couple years.
I am not out to confuse any one or to try to post them as something they are not.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #15
Addie_P
Nobody thinks you're out to misrepresent your animals. Super Stripe is already the name of another boa line. Is it a bit unconventional? Sure. But it is what it is. "Super" is used a lot to describe other homozygous traits, but it certainly isn't a technical term. Considering your animals are not compatible with the already well-known Super Stripes, I'm sure Chris just thought it was something worth mentioning to save you a headache in the future.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Matt J.
Hey Guys! Quick note on the name... I coined the name 'Super Stripe' BEFORE there were 'Super' forms for Co-dominant type animals really being produced (Balls and Boas). So, I had no idea it would eventually lead to the confusion it did over the years... that is unfortunate, but it was simply a case of adding the 'super' to stripe since we believed they far surpassed the quality of anything at the time (in terms of linear stripes on boas that were being reproduced at the time). So, my bad all these years later to use the term 'super' but back in the day it just stuck because, well, we viewed them as SUPER (nice looking) stripes! As far as genetics on the line we took into the public eye, it acted recessive. Check out Anthony LeCompte and Maestro Exotics on Facebook for more info on them. Thanks- Hope this helps some...

Matt

Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Matt J.
James Christopher above nailed it- thanks man!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!