Need opinions on caresheet I am giving out with my baby boas - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
DavidButton
No, it is tomorrow and sunday. Hopfully my babies will be off to new homes and adventures this weekend. Good to see you on Fauna Ravenspirit.

David

Old 02-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #12
Ravenspirit
thanks

and good luck with all your sales.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
Snakecharmer99
feedback

David, my feedback to your care sheet follows…

Unprinted Newspaper better as printed ones release ink odors and black stains and perhaps lead?

No shredded paper substrate as used for hamsters, as this reduces the existing humidity in cage.

Water bowl should be small for drinking and changed daily.
Large plastic water tray for soaking larger snakes and maintaining humidity

Handle snake often and perhaps some time on real grass or trees to maintain muscle and enjoy fresh air?
(I would like to get out of a stuffy cage and smell real things like soil, grass, trees, fresh air and sunlight if I were an animal. I don’t care how much data we have on snakes that contradict that, my boa looked alert and excited when I took him into the back yard and parks for ‘grass time’. He loved crawling along the grass and climbing trees and looking at insects. He was so much more alert and happy after that. When I wanted to put him back on my shoulders, he wanted to slither back off into the grass)

Also perhaps some swim time in warm water in the tub can’t hurt and is good if they have constipation.

Please mention warm water for a snake at 80F body temp is cool water to our touch. Water should never be too much warmer than your own body temp for snakes. Warm baths are a must for re-hydration, constipation, and relaxation.

Learn, learn, learn. Snake signals are very subtle, and you must observe closely, unlike dogs. Read online because the basic care sheet is the minimum of info you need to get started and cannot possibly convey all the info you need to learn to take proper care of a reptile that cannot speak to you.

This last bit must be conveyed to owners. I know from experience. I wish I had known more initially.

Great job on the care sheet!!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
liquidleaf
I know it's probably obvious to most of us, but since these terrible things are STILL sold in pet stores- I'd put in a blurb about avoiding "hot rocks" since they tend to give basking reptiles thermal burns. Maybe also a line or two about shedding, how to recognize that the snake is going into shed (clouded eyes) which is a good point to start increasing humidity, and to not handle during shed. I know I was concerned as a new snake owner the first couple of times my snake shed ("Is that the way it's supposed to look? Is something wrong? How long does it take?"). Especially because young 'uns shed so often...

Looks good!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidleaf
I know it's probably obvious to most of us, but since these terrible things are STILL sold in pet stores- I'd put in a blurb about avoiding "hot rocks" since they tend to give basking reptiles thermal burns.
Yup! But when you cut the cord off real close like............They make nice scraping rocks for shedding. Got one in almost every cage.

And did anyone else notice this is almost a 2 year old thread? LOL

Rick

Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #16
Metachrosis

Old 10-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
6y0ballpython
Your information is great!!!! It shows your awesome knowledge of snakes, especially your love of boas, and it gives your new owners something to refer to when they are too lazy to do their own research...lol....The only thing that I think is VERY important to new and first time snake owners is that you inform them "Not to use a heat rock of any sort"!!!!!!!! If you did mention it and I missed it, sorry.......

Cher

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!