What would you get:: Albino to Ghost - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #11
rick c
Albino Ghost

It is my understanding all offspring would be triple het,unless ghost is dominant (which I'm hoping mine is) in which case all would be ghosts.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
diablohogs
defining heterozygous

heres a twist there are actually two allelles per locus and with that in mind even a dominant (actually isnt salmon co-dominant considering there are super salmons) COULD be het because by definition het means TWO DIFFERENT ALLELLES!!

one could be the dominant gene and one the normal gene which still makes a hypo but genetically speaking its still a het.

HET is an abreviation for the word heterozygous. look the word up it doesnt mean "looks normal but carries the gene for..." but in RECESSIVE traits you need two of THE SAME genes in order for the trait to work. so many think that it does carry that definition.

so like i was saying your ghost x albino will make rougly 50% hypos and 50% normals that are het for both albino and anery. UNLESS it is homozygous (both allelles on the locus are the dominant hypo gene) in which case you will get ALL hypos het for both albino and anery.

when crossing the offspring you can make anerys, albinos, sunglows (hybinos), snows, ghosts, hypos and super hypos.

heres the results from the genetics wizard:

Het. anery, Het. hypoc, Het. albino,
x
Het. anery, Het. hypoc, Het. albino,

1.5625% WT
3.125% Het. albino,
1.5625% Homozygous albino,
3.125% Het. hypoc,
6.25% Het. hypoc, Het. albino,
3.125% Het. hypoc, Homozygous albino,
1.5625% Homozygous hypoc,
3.125% Homozygous hypoc, Het. albino,
1.5625% Homozygous hypoc, Homozygous albino,
3.125% Het. anery,
6.25% Het. anery, Het. albino,
3.125% Het. anery, Homozygous albino,
6.25% Het. anery, Het. hypoc,
12.5% Het. anery, Het. hypoc, Het. albino,
6.25% Het. anery, Het. hypoc, Homozygous albino,
3.125% Het. anery, Homozygous hypoc,
6.25% Het. anery, Homozygous hypoc, Het. albino,
3.125% Het. anery, Homozygous hypoc, Homozygous albino,
1.5625% Homozygous anery,
3.125% Homozygous anery, Het. albino,
1.5625% Homozygous anery, Homozygous albino,
3.125% Homozygous anery, Het. hypoc,
6.25% Homozygous anery, Het. hypoc, Het. albino,
3.125% Homozygous anery, Het. hypoc, Homozygous albino,
1.5625% Homozygous anery, Homozygous hypoc,
3.125% Homozygous anery, Homozygous hypoc, Het. albino,
1.5625% Homozygous anery, Homozygous hypoc, Homozygous albino,

Old 08-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #13
diablohogs
p.s. 1.5625% would become an albino/superhypo/anery. what ever the hell thats called but id sure like to see one.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:59 PM   #14
kosmic
Quote:
Originally posted by diablohogs
p.s. 1.5625% would become an albino/superhypo/anery. what ever the hell thats called but id sure like to see one.
same here.

i am sure they will all be beauties no matter what.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
I know this is old, but I had to respond anyway.

I am not a pro when it comes to genetics, but the Hypo gene (in boas) is a dominant gene. And I actually think the term super is wrong when it come to the salmons. I believe double dose would more properly describe the homozygous condition in Salmons. there is no way 100% to tell them apart from the rest of the litter.
In order for a gene to be codominant, there has to be the possibilty of three phenotypes. like when two motley boas are bred, some motleys, and some with a drastically different pattern then the rest. Super Motleys. This is the way codominance works.

That being said, the salmon part of the ghost, (not proven double dosed yet??) can throw normals.

So in "FACT" (I say this, because the salmon can affect any percentage of the litter being dominant, so numbers are impossible, I hate punnett squares, so lets just use the phenotypical possibilities.)....

You'll get Normals, and Hypos........ And all would be het for anery and albino (since one parent was anery, and one albino). So some DH and some Triple Hets. And the good news is you will be able to tell immediately which is which. "D

Now this is just My understanding of boa genetics, I may be a little bit off, but not too far I think.

Rick

Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
Perhaps a SnowGlow? That would be cool. I didn't want to go to the TH possibilities. I aint ready to think that hard about it.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #17
diablohogs
doesnt salmon have 2 phenotypes? super salmons have less spotting and less melanin as a whole, right? this has been my understanding.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
rick c
My female albino is now gravid by my male ghost, (pot dom) now if he is dominant all babies will be triple het, and if not 1/2 will be hypos(triple het) het albino and anery, the other 1/2 will be normal appearing animals (dh) albino and anery. I see on 8/04 I had no clue what I was talking about!! Teach me.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #19
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
doesnt salmon have 2 phenotypes? super salmons have less spotting and less melanin as a whole, right? this has been my understanding.
No, not in My oppinion. If you could tell them apart, you would not have to "prove" them as double doses (supers). You would know for sure by looking at them. You can't tell though, so they are sold as "possibles". Now there is speculation that the so called "supers" have less spotting, and reduced moustaches, but this is not a garuntee (sp) for "super". Mine can't possibly be a double dose, and he has almost no black on Him. I bet I can count less than a hundred black scales on his while body, but he is not a "super". Of this I am certain.

You should check out Charles Pritzels site ( Serpwidgets ) He has a nice site with some good genetic info. Besides, He be much smarter than Me. I had this discussion with Him about salmons a while back. I was wrong back then, I was mis-informed and believed, they were codominant. I think the key word would be a "drastic" difference in the phenotype.

Rick, your answer seems to be how it is working in My mind. Like I said, I am no pro. After 30 yrs of just keeping, I am FINALLY starting to breed. LOL I'm still a newbie. But the genetics is why I started. I wanted to learn more about them, combined with doing it to help make it stick.
Now when you start breeding them triple hets, I don't even want to try for what you'd get. Like I said, not ready to think that hard yet.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!