Safe to feed on paper towels? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
shep151
Safe to feed on paper towels?

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. This is what a 100 gram colombian looks like after swallowing a whole paper towel with his rat.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
hhmoore
THAT could be a problem. I tend to doubt that the paper towel will easily break down and pass through the little guy. I'd make a pre-emptive call to a good reptile vet.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
M.Dwight
That's to bad...I hope the little guy is ok.
The rule is don't feed a snake on any substrate that can stick to the food item or can be swallowed.
All my snakes are fed in separate Tupperware with no substrate at all.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
shep151
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
THAT could be a problem. I tend to doubt that the paper towel will easily break down and pass through the little guy. I'd make a pre-emptive call to a good reptile vet.
I agree. I'm just hoping something NOT involving surgery can be done.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
shep151
Update...

Contacted the vet yesterday, and to my surprise, they said it was "not uncommon". (Funny how I've never seen anyone post about it before, and have always heard how safe it is to feed on paper towels or newspaper.)
The vet said to give 5 or 6 drops of mineral oil daily for 3 days, and it should break down and pass.
What he didn't mention, (and I didn't think to ask) was the possibility of rectal prolapse. I've seen this in several young boas in pet stores. Other than the mineral oil, I guess there's nothing I can do but hope he expels ONLY the stuff that should be expelled.
So, he's had his first dose of mineral oil, (and he enjoyed that about as much as I would have, I think!) so we're back to "sit and wait".

Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep151
Contacted the vet yesterday, and to my surprise, they said it was "not uncommon". (Funny how I've never seen anyone post about it before, and have always heard how safe it is to feed on paper towels or newspaper.)
I don't know how "not uncommon" it is but once I did remove a paper towel from the throat of a young black-headed python. Evidently he had eaten his rat and decided the paper towel was next. It was in his throat about two to three inches, so I picked him up, held him at the angle of the jaw, disengaged his teeth, and carefully pulled it out. Thankfully it didn't rip and he is fine. Needless to say, I don't use paper towels with him any longer.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep151
I've seen a few posts regarding similar incidents in the past (and it is very common with the furred type of pets)...with a variety of responses from the vets questioned. If memory serves - the larger the animal, the more common the "wait & see" approach (no big shock there). I do remember hearing about a case or two in which surgical intervention was required (or chosen?... perhaps after they waited and saw??), but I don't recall the results. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good "outcome"

Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
coyote
Just a cautionary comment. Mineral oil is notorious for getting into places it is not intended to go. Especially when the "recipient" isn't cooperative. Be very careful that none of it gets into the pharynx.

I have not observed this method used in a snake before. I did observe it used in a small dog though. The dog had a severe case of separation anxiety and ingested a fair portion of carpet on one occasion of being alone. Rather than jump to remove it surgically the vet decided to try mineral oil. This dog was dosed five times a day for nearly a week with as much of a 1/4 cup of oil that we could get down it. What a mess! The dog was coated in the stuff, the cage was coated in the stuff, and she began to pass the oil before the solids. She did eventually pass the carpet. But what an ordeal.

I suppose there is a fine line between giving enough to do the job and giving so much that it initiates a prolapse. I pray that everything goes as intended.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
shep151
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Just a cautionary comment. Mineral oil is notorious for getting into places it is not intended to go. Especially when the "recipient" isn't cooperative. Be very careful that none of it gets into the pharynx.
While the vet neglected to mention this, it had occured to me that the last thing my little guy needs is viscous fluid in his airway!
Honestly, I'm not sure that it will pass, but I am hoping that maybe when he does decide to "give it back", the small doses of mineral oil may make it a little easier for him.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
coyote
Have you consulted with this vet before? Do you have confidence in him/her?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!