Question for breeders/those who sell herps/animals. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Miscellaneous > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics not appropriate for the Miscellaneous sales, wanteds, or trade forums.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Missymonkey
Question for breeders/those who sell herps/animals.

I went to my very first reptile show this last weekend. I purchased a beautiful pair of proven hypo corns. Because I am a college student and don't have lots of cash I wanted to see if I could get the price down a little. However I didn't want to seem like the product was less valuable, or that I didn't think the quality was there and that's why I wanted them cheaper. The breeder was a kind gentleman who answered all my questions, probed the male right there and gave me his card so that I could contact him in the future.

Because I thought that the corns were of good quality I only asked for $20 less than the sticker price. What are your thoughts on this topic, other breeders? I know we all want to make a buck and that's understandable, but do you inflate your prices because you expect some dealing, or if someone asks for a deal is that kind of a slap in the face thing?

(I don't want to step on anyone's toes in the future when I go to more shows, and if dealing is cool, what's a good respectable way to ask/offer?)

thanks
Missy

Old 08-11-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
cbird86
Ok,
As a breeder I do want to make money but I do want to also further the breed and I generaly LOVE snakes. It's ok to ask to lower the price and to ask questions I love that.
The only problem is that the majority of people who have a booth at a show have considerably lowered their prices already. The best advice I can give you is to reserch what you want and the usual price of what you want so you will know if the price is right and if what your asking is to low or to high. Most breeders are realy nice, like the one you met at the show, and will kindly tell you that the price was to low.
As for the best way to ask to lower the price is to just ask and don't beet around the bush they usually know that your going to ask them to lower the prices.
Christa

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!