90-year-old Florida man cited for feeding homeless - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
90-year-old Florida man cited for feeding homeless

Not the first time I read a story like this but really?

Regardless of opinions on homelessness and how to handle it, who the heck is anyone to tell another not to feed someone?

60 days in jail and a $500 fine for feeding someone. Homeless or not who are you to state I can't feed someone? If I'm not charging for a meal, I sure can hand a sandwich to whoever I want.

When you read the articles the main point that jumps out is that some authorities believe they should be the only ones helping people.

When you go through the comments on these articles you see a lot of the same type of comments. Well it's the law, you have to follow the law. What if someone poisons the food or makes them sick.

Someone could poison Halloween candy, should the only treats be given out by the government?

The heck with this. I'll feed whoever I want when I want. If I take on some liability because they become ill, that's my choice and the person accepting the meal.

http://rt.com/usa/202711-fort-lauder...eless-feeding/
Quote:
A 90-year-old war veteran says he will continue breaking the law by feeding homeless in public places in the city of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He was arrested earlier for defying a city ordinance that restricts such charity to protect local businesses.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/90y...again/29579226

A 90-year-old Florida man was cited for a second time for illegally feeding the homeless.
Quote:
Arnold Abbott and his team of chefs set up shop Wednesday night on Fort Lauderdale Beach and dished out free food to the homeless. Uniformed police were also there recording the event.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
WebSlave
Yeah, and isn't this the some government who is actively supporting garbage from China labeled as being "food" showing up in our grocery stores? But they turn a blind eye because they owe China so much money (and borrowing more all of the time) that they don't dare piss them off.

And you know what? Nothing you do at the ballot box is going to change a damned thing.

Man, what a bitter pill immortality would be.......

Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Dennis Hultman

Quote:
Drop That PLATE, Right Now

Old 11-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
j_dunlavy
this is just ridiculous; shouldn't the city be using resources to fight actual crime?
why would there even be a law that says you cannot help someone who needs help?
the people who drafted that ordinance are mean spirited in the worst way.
this is just another step in the decline of western civilization.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Mikkwa
Well if I were Mr Abbott once they finished taking my $500.00 I would turn to the jerk and ask, "You gonna go right out and spend that money on soup & sandwiches for those homeless you say your the only ones allowed to feed them? "Since I so graciously donated it for helping the homeless, I want to see that it gets used for that purpose only!"

Of course it will never be used for anyone on the streets. And many more people will develop the same attitude as the few who think it is best to let the government do the feeding of homeless.

If the government did such a good job of caring for the homeless, then why is there a need for soup kitchens and good hearted folks like Mr Abbott. There would be no more homeless since the government has so much of our tax dollars to work with.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!