Habitat for Humanity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 02-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Lucille
Habitat for Humanity

I've heard about this organization for years and finally went to visit the Houston Restore yesterday.
It is very large and unpretentious with a ton of doors, building materials, sinks, cabinets, cheap paint refurbished computers, chandeliers and supplies and other stuff. Lots of friendly volunteers , someone is always around to help you move an item or answer questions.
I got an office chair, an automatic bread maker, and a floor lamp all for about $45. The floor lamp is perfect, the chair needed a minor fix, and the bread maker is making bread right now.
The prices on construction materials are not dirt cheap but definitely lower than in the big box stores. A lot of the doors and flooring is brand new, and everything is in pretty good shape.
What stood out is the positive attitude and willingness to help. Everyone was courteous, and took their time to assist me.
I think if you are planning on renovating an urban home, a visit here might be helpful, it certainly will be fun.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I (speaking as someone who is generally suspicious of lot of "good causes") think Habitat for Humanity is well worth supporting.

Here in Fiji they assist really impoverished people who otherwise would be living in rusting tin shacks or biodegrading thatched huts. They give interest free loans for building materials, then they come and organise and supervise the house building by volunteer community members, so that as well as one family getting their new house, the rest of the village gets training in building.

So when you do go to shop with them you can also be sure that your money is going to a good cause.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
JColt
The organization is top notch and I donated my services on 3 homes to wire for security system, phone lines and cables for TV/Internet. I actually became a body guard for other workers.

We worked in an area so bad that thugs would just walk in and demand money from the workers. We set it up where each place had at least 2 of us that looked like we might be trouble to stem it. However every night something would be broke or stolen and cars scratched and tires cut.

When I was finished I told them they needed to get out of that area. The manager agreed they messed up accepting those homes. I never went back but I bet those homes look like they did before work was done.

I wish I had more time because I'd love to help them. I did help trouble shoot a problem at one place. Spent maybe 3 hours there. Poor but decent neighborhood with Police and Fire near and decent schools. They really make you feel like an important member of the team and was fun watching kids get excited. I donated an old but very usable pick up a few years back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!