eye problem? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Mojo&Thor
eye problem?

I have a 6 week old bearded dragon that keeps her left eye closed most of the time like if its bothering her or something. I just got her this past saturday. Im not really sure what it means, should I just let it ride out or is there something I can do? Its probably nothing I just wanna make sure I dont overlook a small problem that can turn into something else.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Sorry your little one is having an eye issue. I have a couple of questions for you, though.
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? The brand should be stamped on the bulb. What type of basking light are you using along with the UVB light, is it a bright white light or a colored light? Where is it placed? How far away is the UVB light from your baby?
What type of substrate are you using?

Tracie

Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Mojo&Thor
Im using the reptisun 10.0 its the florescent tube type. for a basking light im just using a regular 100watt house bulb its placed on one end of the cage where she basks, the UV light is about 8-10 inches above her. I had her on paper towels but I just switched her to play sand yesterday. The eye problem started before I put her in sand though.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Beardiepal
At this point I would ask if there is any drainage like we humans get when its conjunctivitis? I have irrigated my beardies eyes with sterile water and an oral syringe before, but it was due to laying and soil irritating their eyes, not such a young baby, bathe her and see if you can get some water there. Now that its been a while, for peace of mind, a vet visit may be warranted. Let us know how things are going, Take good care, Beth

Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Mojo&Thor
there no drainage or anything like that. When she does have her eye open it looks normal and there doesnt seem to be anything in it that could be bothering her. I gave her a bath and tried to get some water in there, not sure if it helped but ill keep trying that to see what happens. I contacted the breeder to see what she said and she suggested putting eye drops in her eye to see if it would help. Are eye drops ok for bearded dragons? Thanks for the help.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Beardiepal
Heck if I know...the breeder should have let you know what type of eyedrops...perhaps a Natural Tears kind of thing from Walgreens, but if you can open the eye to instill eyedrops an irrigation of sterile water would be ok. Since no one else is posting, take her to the vet and let him look at the eye & irrigate it. Keep me posted, B

Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

How are the eyes looking? Did you remove the sand?
You can use either a turtle eye wash that you can usually find at most petstores, or the saline solution that is used for contact lenses. I would only use that for once or twice a day, for 10 days. If it persists, I would seek vet treatment just in case it could be more than irritation but is leading to infection.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!