How bad is a bite from a full grown corn snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
leboshade
How bad is a bite from a full grown corn snake?

Had one snap at me the other day and was wondering if anyone has had an experience of being bitten from a full grown adult?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Lucille
I have, I don't remember it as being very bad at all.

Here's a thread to read:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=bite+club

Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Amel-melon
I was struck once (during feeding); it feels like being cut by a razor. Stings a little, and bleeds quite a bit, but not bad. Just slap some triple antibiotic on it and a bandaid.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
hotlips
It's better than a paper cut, I can tell you that. Mostly you'll get rows of tiny pin-holes that bleed freely for a while but rarely get infected. If you jerk your hand away, you'll likely cause some teeth to break off embedded in your skin though, which can be bothersome- like a splinter you cannot see. (their teeth are translucent) As far as 'pain', most snake bites are like getting a shot at the doctor's office, over before you know what hit you. I wouldn't let it keep you awake nights, lol...

Old 12-14-2016, 02:58 AM   #5
AbsoluteApril
It's not that bad, just a few pinpricks which heal quickly.
I have a bitey one

Old 12-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
cornchips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel-melon View Post
I was struck once (during feeding); it feels like being cut by a razor. .
I dont think its as bad as being cut by a razor.I am thinking razor blade, ouch.Its really not a big deal, doesnt really hurt and barely bleeds.
Think about wrestling with a kitten with your bare hand, its not even that bad.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
akane
I was worried to get bit because of adult bullsnakes getting me as a kid when I tried to move them. Small boas and corn snakes are not even worth stopping to worry about. The only problem I had was I didn't just get struck. I was trying to be made dinner so I'm holding the snake over it's cage and my husband is googling how to get a snake off your hand while it twists around on my finger. She popped her own jaws off eventually. Stopped bleeding in a couple minutes, wiped it off, and that was that.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
hotlips
Well the bite of any snake in 'feeding mode' is never much fun, but the teeth of corn
snakes (even the adults) are small & not much to worry about. That must be one hungry corn snake though, to hang on for so long, Shawna. Time to feed, LOL, & don't take it
personal.

Celia, I agree...kittens are far worse, in part because both teeth & claws carry WAY
more "germs", & either one can dig much deeper into your skin than corn snake teeth. But if you ask most people, they fear a snake-bite far more.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
akane
Rescue snake. Had been fed 1 pinky a week at 3 years old, no heat, cedar shavings.... Everything was food when she got warm.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
hotlips
Oh that poor little soul! No wonder she grabbed you Shawna. I've taken in a number of
rescue snakes too, over the years. It breaks my heart, the way some neglect their
"pets"...way to go! I would be careful to increase her meals gradually though...to make
sure her stomach can handle the change & so she doesn't regurgitate. I think (& hope) she'll be fine, given some time with you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!