King rat. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
norsmis
Craig that would be great! I would love to see what you come up with.

I too grew up on a farm and that is how I became interested in snakes. I would lots of Texas Rats in my grandfather's barn. Anyway, looking forward to the updates!

Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
Craig B
Hi norsmis. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a large shedding in between a rock pile.
I've been checking it every day for basking snakes. I've found another 4 fresh large sheddings on the same pile on different days, so I know there are at least 5 big king rat snakes living there. I could ID the sheddings because of the keeled scales.
This morning was hot and sunny, and when I got to the Rock pile, sure enough there was a large King rat sunning it self. Anyway he's now part of my collection.
It's a young male and measures about 4 and 1/2 foot. As soon as he's calmed down and feeding. I'll take some pics. He's just started getting his adult colors, and looks very nice.
I've handled many species of snakes, but this is top notch bad asss. The skin between the scales is white, just before he hisses the body expands this exposes the white skin, it gives the impreshon he is flashing, and with the hiss it's pretty scary.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
norsmis
Congrats on the find Craig! From your description and what I have read, I bet these are real pissers! Anyway, post some pics when you can.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #14
Craig B
Here's a pic of the Big king rat snake. I just took a peek into the box, I'm using as a hide, to see if he's still allright.
I offed him a hamster last night and he's not eating yet. I'm getting a solid hide for him, tonight and putting a deep pile of wood chips in his cadge, I'll let him dig in and leave him in a quiet spot for a week. I'm still after a few more of these for breeding stock. I'm very interested to see how the captive breed specimens do.
Sorry about the pic but. It wasn't great to start off with and then all the down sizing
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
norsmis
Wow Craig he is a big guy! I love the head pattern on him. So do they musk as much as the books say they do?

Old 05-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #16
Craig B
Hi Ron
Both snakes musked when I caught them, I haven't handled the big one, but I do handle the little one, and it hasn't musked at all, since it was caught.
The big one hasn't eaten, so I made a more secure hid for him and put a deep pile of wood chips, so he can dig in, and hopfully calm down enough to eat.
I plan to try get breeding stock this summer, I'm curious to see if they are worthy as pets or just for the collector, enthusiasts, so I'll have to get some captive hatchlings. To see their temperament. These wild caught one a a little nuts. But they are very interesting, I love their color change as they age.
and their size is pretty impressive.
I'll keep you posted on this little project.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:31 AM   #17
Craig B
I'v just found a third one I' found him tangled up in a big ball of fishing line with a large hook in his neck. With the snake struggling it's caused quite a large rip. I brought him home,cleaned and dissinfected the wound, I left the wound open,as there was no possible way I could bandage it, I hope everthing will be okey.
This is the largest colubride I'v ever found, he looks about 7 foot wth a heavy body, I took some pics but I'v used up all my pic space.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #18
norsmis
Hey Craig. I would suggest keeping him on newspaper and giving him higher temps to help him heal. Change his water bowl every 2 days to keep the bacteria down. I hope he pulls through for you.....

Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #19
Craig B
Thanks Ron
I'll keep a close eye on him, and if, it does get infected I'll clean the wound again, and his whole enclosure. I hate disturbing him, but I'll have to for his own good.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
norsmis
Craig, how is he doing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!