just got a new water monitor..can i handle him? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
Savannah25
just got a new water monitor..can i handle him?

just got him today...he is a baby..looks about 12" long...been hiding for most of the day..only comes out when i leave the room..when i come in and he sees me he automatically burrows underneath the aspen shavings (that seems to be his new hide place..that and the hide). Can i take him out n rub his head/neck, play with him a lil...to get him used to me? Or should i wait a bit longer? I was told to start feeding him the day after i get him..so ill wait for 2morrow on that..
thanks ;0)

Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
SPJ
Give him a few days to settle in. Then start by talking to him while you change the water or drop food in. Let him get used to seeing you without grabbing him and picking him up. The biggest part of getting a monitor to be calm is to let it learn to trust you. They are normally curious and will investigate when they don't feel threatened. Don't rush it.
As far as feeding goes, offer food but don't get discouraged if he doesn't eat right away.
Also, what is the temp in the basking spot, hot side, and cool side?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!