SNAKE ID PLZ - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
MyCrzyFlick
ok I went out and got him some slugs i put them all in there and he is just slithering by them like they are not even there but i will let him live with them for a while and let him feed on them when he wants. how long do you think the slugs will last if he dont eat them all cause once winter hits i dont know where to find them

Old 10-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrzyFlick View Post
ok I went out and got him some slugs i put them all in there and he is just slithering by them like they are not even there but i will let him live with them for a while and let him feed on them when he wants. how long do you think the slugs will last if he dont eat them all cause once winter hits i dont know where to find them
As long as it is moist enough they should last for a while. Once it gets adjusted it should eat worms.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
angie.h
Just wondering,what sort of set-up should he have Dave...substrate,heat,etc.? I'm sure that will factor greatly on his well-being....if he keeps it.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
MyCrzyFlick
His set up right now is a 5.5 gal terrarium with Eco Earths loose coconut substrate, during the day for a few hrs i have him on 100 watt daylight blue bulb and a 60 watt red bulb at night the temp is about 78 degrees and humidity is around 60% I have rocks and grape driftwood for him to climb on and hide under. he also has a undertank heater (but its mounted to the side) which is warm but not overly warm so when the lights are off he still gets some heat plus the heat from the house furnace, I mist his terrarium every few hrs to keep the slugs wet and humidity at a nice level

Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
evilcowboy420
I would adjust the daylight bulb to around 60w as well. the 100w may be too hot for the little guy. Everything else sounds good for him. These snakes are really adapted well for just about any setting and would be my first snake of choice for anyone who has not had previous experience. I actually have never seen one of these guys eat when I would catch them but I didn't keep mine long I would just relocate them to places safe.

you could also try some snails they actually have teeth designed for getting them out of their shells.

These snakes are cool and calm and tame down extremely easy. The most the do is musk. These snakes also will never bite you. But the startle easy.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Just wondering,what sort of set-up should he have Dave...substrate,heat,etc.? I'm sure that will factor greatly on his well-being....if he keeps it.
Good point Angie. They way she has it set up sounds good with the exception of the coco fiber ad the 100 watt. The coco fiber is problematic when ingested and may cause impaction. I would go with peat moss. Make sure to either freeze or bake it prior to use though to kill off any possible parasites.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
MyCrzyFlick
ok well i removed the coco fiber and the 100w bulb i placed the moss that was in there in the freezer and then i put rocks, and his grape drift wood back in there. how long should i leave the moss in the freezer?? and what other substrate can i get?? so there is something for the worms to live in

Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrzyFlick View Post
ok well i removed the coco fiber and the 100w bulb i placed the moss that was in there in the freezer and then i put rocks, and his grape drift wood back in there. how long should i leave the moss in the freezer?? and what other substrate can i get?? so there is something for the worms to live in
Peat moss or even dirt would be another good substrate but again I'd freeze or bake it. A couple hours in the freezer should be fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!