Noob Question- Selecting a Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Vittoamp
Question Noob Question- Selecting a Snake

Hello,
First of all, thanks for anyone that takes the time to help and gives me advice with my question.
I been wanting a snake for a while and slowly been doing research on breeds and requirements. Let me just say that there are tons of different breeds and variations of all, so finding the right one for me has been a task. I want to make sure I get it right the first time so I can be a active enthusiast and once I become well informed I can give knowledge to others like you have.
Anyways here is what I'm looking for:
~I have a 125 gallon tank so I'm thinking of a medium size snake or a smaller snake that can be housed in a pair... I heard that's looked down upon though.
~I would like something with a nice pattern and great look to it.
~I'm obviously a beginner, so something on my level of experience would be great.
Thanks again,
Vitto

Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
Reptile Scott
A couple great beginner snakes are cornsnakes,milksnakes,kingsnakes and ball pythons they are many more but just to many to list lol. There pretty easy to handle and maintain. I would'nt put them in your tank tho...thats waay to big lol. You can try putting some adult tiawan beauty snakes in their but you'll need alot of branches..or a columbian boa or something like that. It all really depends on if your tank is long and wide or long and narrow. Long and wide is better and can put some bigger snakes in their. But before you get any i'd really suggest you getting some smaller snakes like i'v said above just so you can more formillar with them.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
bamagurl76
My favorites are Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes. Both are great beginner snakes. But i wouldn't but either of them in a tank that size.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Twizted Paths
Ok.

Proper order of proceedings should be

1. Research snakes that you like.
2. Narrow it down to the one(s) you can handle, house & find year round food for.
3. Find a herp vet.
4. Purchase the proper set up & all accessories for the animal you intend to purchase.
5. Get the set up running to make sure everything thing works & it holds heat/humitidity at the proper levels.
6. Research breeders.
7. Purchase animal.

You will notice it does not anywhere say get a random tank and then find an animal that fits it.

You need an animal that fits your skill level, personality & lifestyle not one that fits a tank you have.

Having more than one snake live together is fine if you want to increase their stress, deal with possible disease transmission, risk cannibalism, & be unable to keep accurate records.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
polasian
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Ok.

Proper order of proceedings should be

1. Research snakes that you like.
2. Narrow it down to the one(s) you can handle, house & find year round food for.
3. Find a herp vet.
4. Purchase the proper set up & all accessories for the animal you intend to purchase.
5. Get the set up running to make sure everything thing works & it holds heat/humitidity at the proper levels.
6. Research breeders.
7. Purchase animal.
Vitto, this is the best advice you will ever receive! Great post Bell!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
Vitto, this is the best advice you will ever receive! Great post Bell!
Agreed, great advice!

Ultimately you will want to get what YOU like and can afford to care for. There's no sense getting a snake that maybe the easiest to take care of, but you're not very interested in. That makes for a very unenjoyable hobby. Best of luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
gsrept
quick note most of the boas and python species will need smaller size cages a 125 gallon tank would be way to big for say a ball python baby or adult they like to hide andd the tighter the better larger open space can stress them out and lead to eating problems. my personel fav are the hog nose snakes,cute little guys. lots of reading and ultimatly it is your decision, no impulse buys. and good luck on the hunt.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!