State Threatens Mother to Seize Infant For Feeding Homemade Goat Milk Formula - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
State Threatens Mother to Seize Infant For Feeding Homemade Goat Milk Formula

State Threatens Mother to Seize Infant For Feeding Homemade Goat Milk Formula
http://freepatriot.org/2013/08/15/st...-milk-formula/

A 17-year-old mother in Maine has found herself in a battle against the state over what she feeds her 3 month old son, Carson. Alorah Gellerson had a difficult time breastfeeding her baby and decided to make her own homemade formula with goat milk. ”Oh, he loved it,” Gellerson said. “We put celery juice in it, and he just loves that, and it worked really well with his body, and he grew like a weed.”

However, the young mother made the giant mistake of telling her son’s pediatrician about the goat milk formula and was turned into Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), which resulted in an overnight stay in the hospital, home visits, the baby to be placed on “approved” infant formula and threatened with her son being removed from her care and placed in foster care if she did not comply.

WABI, a local news station, has been covering this story and interviewed another local pediatrician who seems just as equally confused by these actions. He said: “I’ve got plenty of kids in my practice that have been given goat’s milk, for example, and they’re growing and developing fine.”

Goat milk has been known to be healthier, more easily digested, and has less allergens than cow’s milk and has been to fed to babies in traditional cultures for thousands of years. The question is why the uproar? Why are there threats to the young mother?

The local media has tried to interview DHHS but there was no one available to take their calls and answer any questions, they did however, refer them to the government website that stated that goat’s milk is not suitable for infants.

Gellerson has complied with all the mandates from DHHS and has even switched to the store-bought formula but, the state is not dropping it. ”I hope this all goes away. It’s been so terrible and hard on us. We’re just trying to live our lives and they keep bothering us. I just want it to be all over,” Gellerson said.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
http://www.wave3.com/story/23089938/...s-milk-formula
Quote:
BROOKLIN, ME (WABI/WWW/CNN) - Alorah Gellerson loves her three-month-old son.

"He's a really good baby. He's always happy. He likes to eat," she said.

But what baby Carson eats has caused a lot of trouble for this 17-year-old mother.

When the baby didn't take to breastfeeding, Gellerson started feeding him homemade goat milk formula.

"Oh, he loved it," Gellerson said. "We put celery juice in it, and he just loves that, and it worked really well with his body, and he grew like a weed."

But when her doctor reported this to the Department of Health and Human Services, things got messy.

"She came in and threatened to take him away and put him in foster care until I complied to go to the doctor and get him seen."

Gellerson, who receives state benefits, says she has complied with all of the mandates from DHHS, including numerous doctor visits, an overnight hospital stay, and even switched over to store-bought formula to please them. But she says the state is still not dropping it.

"It's so frustrating. My daughter is a great mother. The baby has a great dad, too, and they love this baby very much, and they would never do anything to hurt him. And if we thought the formula was harming him, we would not do that," said Tania Allen, Gellerson's mother.

DHHS said they had no one available to speak, instead directing reporters to websites for procedures they follow, like one from the USDA, which says goat milk is not recommended for infants because of inadequate quantities of certain vitamins.

"I am aware that there is some push back from a lot of community organizations toward parents who take that approach," Jack Forbush, The Osteopathic Center for Family Medicine in Hampden, said. "I don't know what's really driving it other than perhaps some different cultural belief system. I've got plenty of kids in my practice that have been given goat's milk, for example, and they're growing and developing fine."

"I hope this all goes away. It's been so terrible and hard on us. We're just trying to live our lives and they keep bothering us. I just want it to be all over," Gellerson said.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
Child Services Threatens To Take Mother’s Baby Over Goat Milk Formula
http://www.secretsofthefed.com/child...-milk-formula/

Quote:
A mother in Brooklin, Maine was threatened by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) this week after the state learned that she was feeding her three-month-old son goat milk formula.

KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather

After 17-year-old Alorah Gellerson’s son Carson began having trouble with breastfeeding, Gellerson decided to try homemade goat milk formula instead and was amazed by the results.

“We put celery juice in it, and he just loves that, and it worked really well with his body, and he grew like a weed,” said Gellerson.

After taking her son to a routine doctor’s appointment, Gellerson, excited at her baby’s improvement, mentioned how well her son was doing since switching over to the new formula. Unfortunately, results were not important to the doctor who immediately reported Gellerson to DHHS, claiming her actions endangered the child.

“She came in and threatened to take him away and put him in foster care until I complied to go to the doctor and get him seen,” explained Gellerson.

Gellerson says she followed all of the mandates given to her by DHHS following the incident which included switching over to commercial formula as well as an overnight hospital stay for monitoring. Even though the baby is perfectly healthy, the state is still threatening to take Gellerson’s son.

“I hope this all goes away. It’s been so terrible and hard on us,” said Gellerson. “We’re just trying to live our lives and they keep bothering us. I just want it to be all over.”

While DHHS insists that goat milk formula is dangerous to infants, many doctors disagree.

“I don’t know what’s really driving it other than perhaps some different cultural belief system. I’ve got plenty of kids in my practice that have been given goat’s milk, for example, and they’re growing and developing fine,” said Jack Forbush of The Osteopathic Center for Family Medicine in Hampden.

Not only do many doctors disagree with the DHHS, almost all of the state’s demands and threats toward Gellerson’s son are proven to be truly dangerous to children.

The state’s decision to force Gellerson’s baby to take only store-bought formula, which contains a measly 12 minerals (dog food contains 40), could likely cause harm to the child that it would have never experienced in its mother’s care.

In addition to several studies showing goat’s milk to be healthier for humans than cow’s milk, tests have discovered that nearly all non-certified organic infant formulas made from cow’s milk contain Monsanto’s synthetic, genetically engineered growth hormone recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH). The synthetic hormone has been banned in Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and in the 27 countries of the European Union for it’s links to countless health issues including breast cancer.

Several formulas have also been found to contain cupric sulfate, a known herbicide, fungicide and pesticide. Despite countless complaints from consumers, many formulas also still contain synthetic long-chain fatty acids. The synthetic DHA and ARA were admittedly shown to produce a “significant increase in relative liver weights” when tested on rats.

In 2008, the Associated Press filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request and found that Nestle, Mead Johnson and Enfamil infant formulas contained melamine, a toxic industrial chemical linked to kidney damage. Before the startling discovery, the FDA’s own website stated that there was no safe level of melamine contamination in infant formula. After the release of the FOIA request, the FDA suddenly claimed that certain levels of the toxic chemical was exceptable.

In 2009, researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 15 brands of powdered infant formula were contaminated with perchlorate, a component found in rocket fuel. Store-bought formulas also contain alarmingly high levels of sugar and high fructose corn syrup, ingredients that have been linked to anxiety and other behavioral disorders. Not only is the corn syrup itself harmful to children, a 2009 study discovered that over 50 percent of high fructose corn syrup is heavily contaminated with mercury.

While the state’s decision to force Gellerson’s son onto conventional baby formula through threats is disturbing enough, the claim of wanting to take the child for its “safety,” is even more frightening. Studies have found that children in state custody are up to 600 percent more likely to be tortured, neglected and murdered and up to 10 times more likely to be abused than a child in the general population.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman

Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Goat milk is used all over the world since well FOREVER.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Dennis Hultman
The Healthy Home Economist
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...-milk-formula/
Quote:
Warning to all parents who make healthy homemade baby formula for their children instead of feeding them toxic, GMO laced commercial formula.

DON’T tell a conventionally minded doctor about it else your baby might end up in foster care!

This is the nightmare Alorah Gellerson of Brooklin, Maine is experiencing right now because she made the mistake of telling her doctor about the homemade goat milk formula she proudly and carefully makes for her healthy, happy, three-month old son Carson.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) quickly responded when the doctor reported Alorah and that’s when things got messy.

The state came in and threatened to take Carson away and put him in foster care unless Alorah followed DHHS orders to go and have the baby examined by a doctor. Unbelievably, DHHS also mandated an overnight hospital stay and a switch back to store bought GMO commercial formula.

Despite complying with every single DHHS demand, Gellerson, who receives state benefits, is still being harassed with threats of foster care for her son. ”I hope this all goes away. It’s been so terrible and hard on us. We’re just trying to live our lives and they keep bothering us. I just want it to be all over”, she said.

Tania Allen, Gellerson’s mother added,

“It’s so frustrating. She’s a great mom. The baby has a great dad too and they love this baby very much and they would never do anything to hurt him and if we thought the formula was harming him, we would not do that.”

DHHS refused to comment and instead directed inquiries to its website for the procedures they follow, one of which is from the USDA which states that goat milk is not recommended for infants because of inadequate quantities of certain vitamins.

Jack Forbush, DO, of The Osteopathic Center for Family Medicine in Hampden, Maine disagrees with the state saying,

”I don’t know what’s really driving it other than perhaps some different cultural belief system. I’ve got plenty of kids in my practice that have been given goat’s milk, for example, and they’re growing and developing fine.“

The Weston A. Price Foundation concurs with Dr. Forbush’s assessment. Homemade formula from goat or cow milk is much better for baby than commercial formula as this chart listing the nutrients contained in goat milk formula illustrates.
State Violation of Parental Rights Becoming More Common

This is not the first time a parental judgment call regarding the health of a child has landed a parent in hot water with the State. This type of violation of basic parental rights is becoming more and more common.

Recall the story of Scott and Jodi Ferris whose newborn was taken away in the hospital because Jodi questioned the necessity of the Hepatitis B shot. Then there was the story of Alex and Anna Nikolayev just a few months ago who had their baby forcibly removed from their home (with the entire assault captured on home video) simply because they took their baby to another hospital for a second opinion regarding their child’s heart condition. In both cases, the children were eventually returned to the parents, but not before much grief and stress were endured by the family.

Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist

Sources:

Brooklin Mother Says State Not Happy With Her Formula Choice

Baby’s mother in trouble with state over homemade goat’s milk formula

USDA: Infant Formula Feeding

Recipes for Homemade Baby Formula

Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Lucille
I could not find an article that had the name of the doctor who turned that mother in. If anyone comes across it I'd like to know, I would like to send him/her an email saying that this really seems like a misguided decision, not made in my opinion in the best interests of the child. And of course, all that came after with the actions of the Protective Services staff was just beyond belief.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Dennis Hultman
Seems everyone but the child snatching, over stepping their bounds DHHS in Maine and this head up his rear doctor doesn't have a problem with it. Still threatening to send her child to foster care.

Well probably a lot of other state agencies around the country too.

What a load of crap.

I will look for the Doc's name. There are so many stories on this event.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Helenthereef
Next stage: prosecute mothers for what THEY do or do not eat while breastfeeding....

Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
JColt
If it's not APPROVED by the FDA then it's poison. Trying to do the same with ecig's. Even though countless doctors say electronic cigs are much less cause for concern than burning tobacco. Anyway I couldnt find original doctor name but did find this

Nearby residents are encouraged to attend a planned protest before Carson’s upcoming appointment with Dr. Lawrence Ricci, whom DHHS uses in cases of alleged child abuse and neglect cases. This protest will take place on September 5, 2013, at 12 p.m. in front of the Weber Medical Building at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!