Picture of egg sweating / Fertile vs Infertile Pics - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 AM   #11
Gekkonida
Thumbs up

Great post! It is too bad we can't sticky posts like this one. This will help a lot of keepers out there. This is an oft-asked question.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #12
Milwaukee Reptiles
I actually plan on making a page for this info on my site (whenever I can find time to re-organize my information and media sections). I'll let you all know when it's up and then if anyone asks all we have to do is link to it. I have a lot of animal things happening this week and I'm still not sure how I want to organize the site so it'll likely be a few weeks, but it'll be there eventually.

Thanks for all the great responses too... I like knowing that my info can actually help people... plus it gives me a reason to take 100 pictures at a time... (check out http://www.milwaukeereptiles.com/Media.html to see what I mean [56k warning]... all those were taken within 2 days, and I threw out a lot!)

Old 04-13-2005, 02:25 AM   #13
thesnakecharmer
Thumbs up Sooo helpful! Thanks Brian!

I am looking forward to my first season starting this July and these photos were great for someone like me who is just starting out. Also, thanks for the flashlight idea, I am ordering a bunch of stuff online tomorrow and almost bought a $15 candeler.
Take Care!
Nicole

Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #14
Vince
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Reptiles
For candling, I took a flashlight, covered the top in aluminum foil, and poked a hole in it. It works really well.

would that work with larger eggs as well?
How old were the eggs that you candled?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
Milwaukee Reptiles
I don't see why it wouldn't work, you just need a bigger hole in the foil.

I took the pictures yesterday (4/12), and the dates are listed there. The fertile ones are just under 2 weeks old, infertile is almost a month. You should be able to start seeing some veins in a fertile one after about 3 or 4 days though.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #16
TheKeeper
Thank you for posting these pics, they will be very helpful to newbies, I wish I had seen them a few years ago. Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Vince
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Reptiles
I don't see why it wouldn't work, you just need a bigger hole in the foil.

I took the pictures yesterday (4/12), and the dates are listed there. The fertile ones are just under 2 weeks old, infertile is almost a month. You should be able to start seeing some veins in a fertile one after about 3 or 4 days though.
Cool thanks a lot. The reason I ask is becuse I am going to do this for my redfoot eggs. Last year I got a few eggs that were sweating and I candled them and really couldnt tell what I was looking for. I didnt use and foil just held the light to the egg. I am going to try this out and maybe post some pics. thanks alot this was a big help, there is very little information about this on the net.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
USAGECKOS
Wow Brian, it is like you read my mind (Very Scary). I was just going to post a thread about candling.

I have never candled my eggs before, and I decided I would start today. I was candling some eggs that should be ready to hatch in a week or 2 and I couldn't see any babies developing in the egg, but the eggs look very redish pink and blochy(sp), like the fertile egg picture of your. My question is, should I be able to see the baby gecko inside the egg?

I did have a couple that were yellow like your infertile egg, but they were just recently laid, how long after the eggs are laid should I be able to see the red coloration or veins?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #19
Vince
that black mark was made by you right?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #20
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
that black mark was made by you right?
That is from a marker to tell what is the top of the egg if it gets rolled over my a clutch mate or anything. The baby growing inside can get smushed under the pressure of the liquid if its on the bottom of the egg.

He did the same thing with the dragons but in blue ink.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!