Snake Attacks Three-Year-Old Boy - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
SofaKing
Why is that Seamus?

Aren't we as human beings suppose to be the most advanced species,but yet we seem to be the most vicious of all, as like we never truly evolved. We destroy life, over meaningless reason. So when did man become a god to decide what lives and what dies? Why is a humans life more precious then any other life, don't you think every living thing deserves to the right to survive...

So who are you to say I'm wrong for how or what I think?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
kmurphy
Quote:
Aren't we as human beings suppose to be the most advanced species,but yet we seem to be the most vicious of all, as like we never truly evolved. We destroy life, over meaningless reason. So when did man become a god to decide what lives and what dies? Why is a humans life more precious then any other life, don't you think every living thing deserves to the right to survive...
I used to think that way but I was fishing one time and there was this mosquito. I tried to get it to go away but it just kept coming back. So I let it eat me for awhile. Then the ungrateful cuss invited all it's friends to dinner. That's when I decided that I'd had enough and splattered that sucker and all his friends and relatives on my arm. It was then that I came to the conclusion that some animals aren't better than me and don't deserve to live. It was very enlightening.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
SofaKing
Not exactly what I'm saying, but very funny!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
wcreptiles
Parents Charged With Endangerment

Quote:
Pet Python Attacks Toddler; Parents Charged With Endangerment
Tuesday , February 10, 2009

LAS VEGAS —

Police say the parents of a 3-year-old boy who was attacked by a pet python snake have been arrested on felony child neglect, abuse and endangerment charges.

Records showed that 26-year-old Anthony Melendrez and 25-year-old Melissa Melendrez were being held Tuesday at the Clark County jail pending initial court appearances on Thursday.

Police say the 18-foot python bit and coiled itself around the boy Jan. 20 at a southwest Las Vegas home.

Officials say the snake began squeezing the breath out of the child before Melissa Melendrez stabbed the snake more than a dozen times with a kitchen knife.

The python was later euthanized by animal control officials.

Investigators allege that a 5-year-old child who was in the home also was endangered.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490784,00.html

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
wcreptiles
Couple accused in snake attack on son cuts a plea deal

Quote:
Couple accused in snake attack on son cuts a plea deal

Updated: March 12, 2009 07:49 PM EDT

The couple accused of felony child abuse and neglect for a snake attack that injured their son could still face jail time.

Anthony and Melissa Melendrez entered an Alford plea in District Court today.

The plea doesn't admit guilt, but does admit prosecutors could prove the case if it went to trial and reduces the charges against them to a gross misdemeanor.

Police arrested the couple in February, weeks after an 18 foot python bit and squeezed their 3 year old son and Metro's investigation also turned up Anthony's outstanding warrant for a DUI.

Sentencing on April 2nd is up to a judge.

The couple faces anywhere from a 100 dollar fine to a year in jail.

Stay tuned to Action News for updates on this developing story.
http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9997909

Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
wcreptiles
Parents in Snake Attack Accept Alford Plea

Quote:
Posted: Wednesday, 08 April 2009 7:07AM

Parents in Snake Attack Accept Alford Plea

The parents of a three-year-old boy who was attacked by a python snake, appeared in court Tuesday. Anthony and Melissa Melendrez have accepted an Alford plea, which means they are not admitting guilt, but the prosecution could have success if the case went to trial. The couple was originally charged with child abuse and neglect. The plea gets the pair out of facing two felony charges, which could have resulted in up to 20-years in prison. Instead the alford plea will be a gross misdemeanor that has a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail. The child is said to be doing fine.

TM & Copyright 2009 KXNT Radio Inc.
http://www.kxnt.com/Parents-in-Snake...d-Plea/4164655

Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing
Aren't we as human beings suppose to be the most advanced species
We like to think so, but I seriously doubt it.

Quote:
but yet we seem to be the most vicious of all, as like we never truly evolved
What does the lack of viciousness have to do with evolution? Here I thought evolution was a change in allele frequency over time.

Quote:
We destroy life, over meaningless reason. So when did man become a god to decide what lives and what dies
Were not the only thing that makes decisions on what lives and dies. I remember learning about food webs in second grade (Although they were called food chains back then).

Quote:
Why is a humans life more precious then any other life
Because were human and have greater compassion for our own species. We have an innate drive to pass on our genetics and to keep our species going.

Quote:
don't you think every living thing deserves to the right to survive...
I'm not sure that right is the correct term here. Although I would say that everything deserves to have the chance to survive based on their own ability to escape/evade predatory attempts......unless were talking about beef cattle....they need to die in large quantities because I'm hungry and need steak. And the deer did an excellent job of escaping/evading my predatory attempts this year. But they should live in humane conditions until that time.

But any living thing that tries to do harm to my little allele carriers (kids) will be dispatched with extreme prejudice. For example, I really like dogs, possibly even more so than snakes. But let someones dog attempt to harm my child and I will gladly rip out it's throat like Patrick Swayze did in Roadhouse.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 AM   #18
DAND
Quote:
The plea gets the pair out of facing two felony charges, which could have resulted in up to 20-years in prison. Instead the alford plea will be a gross misdemeanor that has a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail.
And how is this a deterrent?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #19
suzuki4life
so let me get this straight....snake bits kid. Mom and dad get charged for child endangerment of both kids within the home because there were contained in "harm's way".

So when your Lab bites your kid, under the same logic you should be charged with endangerment of EVERYONE or EVERY child in the dog's immediate range because as we all know...dog bites and attacks are over a million times more common than such an act involving a reptile.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #20
wcreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
so let me get this straight....snake bits kid. Mom and dad get charged for child endangerment of both kids within the home because there were contained in "harm's way".

So when your Lab bites your kid, under the same logic you should be charged with endangerment of EVERYONE or EVERY child in the dog's immediate range because as we all know...dog bites and attacks are over a million times more common than such an act involving a reptile.
A free roaming 18ft Retic is slightly different from you basic Lab. A dog is considered a domesticated pet where your snake is still a wild animal and should be confined to suitable cage and not be permitted to roam free; especially when children are left unattended. If the parents had this animal in a proper locked cage away from the children this would not have occurred; no charges filed, no story.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!