PENSACOLA, FL - Man Charged With Animal Cruelty in Reptile Case - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
PENSACOLA, FL - Man Charged With Animal Cruelty in Reptile Case

PENSACOLA, FL (AP) -- A man was arrested after deputies found thirty-five dead reptiles and dozens more malnourished living in his camper.

Craig Thomas Zoodsma is charged with thirty-five felonies in the animals deaths and forty-one misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty. Deputies found thirty-five snakes, three lizards and three turtles still living but underfed and badly dehydrated. Authorities went to 51-year-old Zoodsma's camper, which sits behind his business, after a neighbor complained about the animals. Dried snake and mice carcasses covered the floor.

The largest snake that survived was a 10-foot-long reticulated python. The snake should be about forty to fifty pounds, but weighed only fourteen. Zoodsma told investigators he knew about some of the dead animals, but was too busy to do anything about them. He is being held at Santa Rosa County Jail on fifty-five thousand dollars bond.

Link

Old 08-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Reptiles recovering after abuse

Pace resident Carmen Swafford was shocked and saddened to hear that dozens of reptiles were either killed or injured in a case of animal cruelty discovered over the weekend in Milton.

"You've got to take care of them if you are going to have them," said Swafford, a licensed reptile breeder who has six snakes and several turtles. "I take care of them just like they are my children. When they need food and water, I give it to them."

Craig Thomas Zoodsma, 50, of Milton, was arrested Saturday and charged with 35 felony and 41 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty after investigators found 34 dead snakes, one dead bearded dragon lizard and two dead red-eared slider turtles in a camper he owned.

Zoodsma also had 35 snakes, three lizards, three turtles, three cats and two dogs that survived. The cats and dogs were taken to the county animal shelter, while the reptiles -- many of which are malnourished, dehydrated and have infections -- are being nursed back to health at The Zoo Northwest Florida.

"Most of the snakes are eating and moving around," said Natalie Akin, spokeswoman for The Zoo. "They're doing much better."

The Zoo has received $300 in cash and in-kind donations to help cover the $10,000 in expenses expected to be incurred for food, staff, equipment and medicine to help bring the reptiles back to health.

With a bond of $55,000, Zoodsma was still at the Santa Rosa County Jail on Tuesday afternoon.

Harmon Massey, who heads the State Attorney's Office in Milton, hadn't yet seen the case file Tuesday and wouldn't comment on what type of sentence the conviction on those charges might bring.

According to information from several local pet stores and the Internet, the surviving animals could be worth as much as $8,000 on the retail market. The lot's single albino ball python could fetch as much as $3,000.

Zoodsma told investigators he had been aware of the dead animals -- the carcasses of which littered the unventilated camper -- for about two weeks, but hadn't had time to do anything about it.

Nancy Slay, a co-owner of Original Aquatic Pets in Pace, said it takes a lot longer than two weeks for large snakes to die of hunger or thirst.

"Many of them can live for six months to a year without eating," Slay said. "They probably couldn't go longer than a couple months without water. They need moisture to shed (as well as to drink)."

Link

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Rattlesnake
Another idiot that should never have had reptiles in the first place.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
INSANE CANES
And he should be kept in the same conditions as the poor neglected/dead reptiles.
And we could just say yeah we knew he was dieing but didn't care.
What goes around comes around.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Milton man pleads not guilty in animal cruelty case

Craig Zoodsma, accused of animal cruelty, has entered a written plea of not guilty.

Zoodsma, 50, of Milton, is charged with 46 misdemeanor counts of confinement of animals without sufficient food, water or exercise and/or abandonment of animals.

He was arrested in August after Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s investigators found 34 dead snakes, one dead bearded dragon lizard and two dead turtles inside a 20-foot camping trailer he owned on Avalon Boulevard.

A pretrial hearing is set for Oct. 31. Jury selection is scheduled for Nov. 13.

If convicted, he faces a maximum of one year in jail and a $5,000 fine on each charge.

Link

Old 10-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Ginger Ambrose
How can a person that has so obviously perpetrated a crime plead "Not Guilty"
This is so sad.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
INSANE CANES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Ambrose
How can a person that has so obviously perpetrated a crime plead "Not Guilty" This is so sad.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Boidmom
I read these to keep up on everything but articles like this make me wish I hadn't. I apprenticed with a veterinarian for three years but my college plans were cut short by Hodgkin's disease, which has hounded me since I was 17 years old. I have kept numerous animals and raised-for-profit birds, tropical fish, rabbits, sheep, goats, cows, and horses. I have wild-caught and kept dozens of wild reptiles, including snakes and also did limited wildlife rehabilitation for the State of Oregon (deer and birds, mostly). I truly believe that we are responsible for the so called "lower creatures" who by no fault of their own end up in our keeping and at our mercy. There is truly no punishment harsh enough for someone who starves, denies water, adequate heating/cooling, or shelter to animals in his/her charge. He/she has already denied them the freedom to live their own lives comfortably. They are like children and deserve to at least be comfortable and free of fear after losing the one most precious thing, their freedom. All an animal has is it's life.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
Milton man sentenced in animal cruelty case

I'm not sure what other circumstances came into play here. From the last update I posted on this story he was pleading not guilty and jury selection was scheduled for Nov. 13th. Now he's being sentenced.
Perhaps he changed his plea, the article doesn't specify. At any rate it's a mild sentence compared to the potential maximum allowed. A total of 60 days with time served, when he was potentially looking at 40+ years and $200K in fines if the maximum had been applied.
This too suggests a plea bargain.

__________________________________________________ __________

A Milton man charged with 43 misdemeanor animal cruelty charges for as many snakes and other animals found malnourished in his trailer in August, was sentenced today.

Craig Zoodsma, 50, received 60 days in jail and five years probation. Since he has been in jail since his arrest, that’s time served. He also must undergo a psychological evaluation.

He was arrested in August after Santa Rosa County sheriff’s investigators found 34 dead snakes, one dead bearded dragon lizard and two dead turtles inside a 20-foot camping trailer he owned on Avalon Boulevard.

Link to story

Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Lauren Summey
So sad... Some people just shouldn't own animals!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!