Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset (Miami) - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #71
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesatsunset View Post
yes, very much so. We didnt notice a mite on it, till we closer inspected it for setting it up, then noticed a few. So we had no option but to put it there, or we could have run the risk of spreading mites in our store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesatsunset View Post
Dragonlu, that is obvious and a known fact. The snake came in a bag, we saw
mites on it, put it in the tree, segregated.

Which is it? That is why you are being questioned, you have contradicted yourself here.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #72
likuidslider603
I think what he is saying is that he got it delivered in a bag, then after receiving it and the person who gave it to him left he took it out of the bag to put on sale and it had the mites.

Why not look at it before accepting it? They would have been very obvious, they would not grow that big in just 30 mins between you getting it and the OP arriving like you said.

Another snakes shed? That is kind of odd to keep it with a new snake, why not put it with the snake that shed. I hope you treat the sheds before they get thrown out or else the mites could be on that, get into your garbage, and then back into your other snakes.

Maybe the sheds were left there so it looked like the snake has shed twice and is a good shedder? Do you tell customers that it is another snakes shed? Or assume that they know that the one for sale may not have shed or does not have perfect sheds? If they are kept to attract attention, why do that with this snake? You would assume that you would do what you can to avoid it getting any attention. Put sheds in once it's treated and for sale if that's what you guys do....

Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #73
likuidslider603
Also, anyone who lives close or S@S, please try to get a pictures up as soon as you can. That would really help everyone understand exactly how everything is set up. This thread is going to be a he said she said argument about who's lying until proof can be posted. And so far the only proof is the one picture that we have to go by.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #74
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Which is it? That is why you are being questioned, you have contradicted yourself here.

Both quotes are basically saying the exact same thing Kyle.

Make sure there is a point to make before you attempt to make it

Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #75
ReptileAddictions
You "cant" close the store mid day and take it home? What? Are you claiming to be the only employee?

IF I received a snake with mites and I was here alone.........I would call someone in the "family" business to pick it up, call a friend, a loyal customer. Anyone. If that didn't work I WOULD put a sign on the door that said "Emergency- snake arrived with mites taking it to quarantine- be right back" I GUARANTEE that no one would be upset about that, maybe even give the waiting customers a discount upon return. People appreciate good husbandry. This isn't the fast food business. No one comes in a hurry.

It has been claimed the OP has a personal vendetta of some sort. How so? Can you back up that claim?

I have been to your Dads store, BEFORE it was your dads store. I lived in South Florida for 7 years. It was a nice store then. My personal decisions have been made here. The responses from Sunset speak for themselves. I have no more 2 cents

Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #76
2amcreations
I've bought many many many critters from Mike over the years...from way back when he was a kid to just a couple weeks ago. I can say that I've never gotten anything in that had any problems, mites, or anything else.

This really is sounding like the OP has a personal problem with Mike more than anything.

I worked in an all reptile shop for several years and the quarantine for that small shop was simply treat the snake & cage for mites and mark it as NFS until it had fed a couple times. Yes the animals were on display, yes they were near other animals.....because there wasn't enough room for an entire chunk of the store to be dedicated to quarantine. I imagine that most shops are like that, I doubt very many have the luxury of an additional quarantine space where everything can go and live for 3 months to make sure it is tip top. That isn't realistic in any sense for a retail shop. You do the best you can with what you've got available. Seems to me that is exactly what Mike is doing.

The smuggling comment. That is just petty and sad to feel the need to bring that up in this thread. Hope it made you feel like a big guy to say that.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #77
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
They look way too big to be mites to me. Could they be ticks??
Good catch Kelli! I was wondering the same thing (I've never had mites ..knock on wood...but I have seen pics of tics on snakes. Mites wouldn't photograph so clearly, imo.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #78
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological View Post
Both quotes are basically saying the exact same thing Kyle.

Make sure there is a point to make before you attempt to make it
NO John, that not they way I read it. To me the first quote says: we got the snake and then while putting it on display we noticed the snake and the second quote says: the snake came in a bag and we noticed mites on in before we put it up and because of this we segregated it. One speaks to noticing mites on a snake while putting it on display, the second speaks to putting a snake that you have already noticed mites on display. Two very different things.

Make sure you understand the point I am trying to make before trying to blast it.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #79
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Good catch Kelli! I was wondering the same thing (I've never had mites ..knock on wood...but I have seen pics of tics on snakes. Mites wouldn't photograph so clearly, imo.
But it's a moot point, because the owner said that the floor around the area had been treated, so nothing could travel...

Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #80
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileAddictions View Post
You "cant" close the store mid day and take it home? What? Are you claiming to be the only employee?

IF I received a snake with mites and I was here alone.........I would call someone in the "family" business to pick it up, call a friend, a loyal customer. Anyone. If that didn't work I WOULD put a sign on the door that said "Emergency- snake arrived with mites taking it to quarantine- be right back" I GUARANTEE that no one would be upset about that, maybe even give the waiting customers a discount upon return. People appreciate good husbandry. This isn't the fast food business. No one comes in a hurry.

It has been claimed the OP has a personal vendetta of some sort. How so? Can you back up that claim?

I have been to your Dads store, BEFORE it was your dads store. I lived in South Florida for 7 years. It was a nice store then. My personal decisions have been made here. The responses from Sunset speak for themselves. I have no more 2 cents

Somehow Wendy a moral tirade on business ethics and proper husbandry rings a little hollow and tinny coming from you given your history.

"Let she who is without sin throw the first Swastika or tube of KY Jelly"

It's a bit like Dan Scolaro lecturing someone on proper customer service and Email etiquette.

Anyone else here actually think Mike should have closed down the store, put "Emergency Mites" signs up and run screaming down the street with the animal? Give me a break. What is it?...A slow news day?

The animal came in, Mites were noticed and it was popped into a cage temporarily in an area that he considered secure from the other animals. Short term, quick stopgap solution. He didn't take time to remove a couple of sheds before putting the animal in there...who cares? It wasn't it's permanent quarters, just a place to put the animal for a short time till treatment could be administered. Would it have been better to put it out of sight? Sure. Apparently that wasn't an option though at that moment

Give it a rest people. The horse was thoroughly beaten and deceased by page two of this thread

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!