Baby Candoia Fiji Boas (but not mine....) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Helenthereef
Baby Candoia Fiji Boas (but not mine....)

So I'm still waiting for my own batch of baby Fiji Boas, but in the meantime my friends at Paradise Resort on Taveuni Island (Fiji) have had a wild caught female give birth in one of their tanks. 27 live born, no slugs.

They seem to come in three colours - gray/brown, orange and almost black with red/orange bellies. Thought you might like to see these tiny neonates - about 35 cm long (13 - 14 inches) and weighing around 10 - 11 gms (less than 1/2 ounce).

I'm keeping a couple of the dark ones - can't resist the red eyes!

24 neonates 8 days old
Momma
Three colour ways
Two dark brothers
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Helenthereef
More pics

A few more showing their size and head details
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Matt2979
I'm not really into the Fiji Boas, but those babies are AMAZING!! I think my favorite (of your pics) would be the orange ones, but those red eyes really do stand out on the dark ones!!

How's the average/typical temperament of a Fiji Boa?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Wow Helen, what little beauties!! I can see why you like the reds too. Looking forward to seeing your babies when the time comes!!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
brd7666
Wow, they look great. Congrats.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Thanks for the interest. The two dark sisters (now I think they may be female - hard to tell for sure yet) just took their first meals - f/t house geckos, straight from the floor of the tank, so feeding looks like it should be simple.

Temperamentally these little snakes are very cool - they're nocturnal, so pretty docile (i.e. asleep) during daylight hours, coming out to explore in the evening. I find they adjust to handling very well, and rarely bite except for the odd feeding confusion.

I'd just forgotten how tiny the neonates are - thinner than a ballpoint pen, and only a foot or so long, it's hard to think that they are boas at all. I'll post some feeding pics soon.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Utta
I love those dark ones! The one in the first pic, on the far left is beautiful!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
I love those dark ones! The one in the first pic, on the far left is beautiful!
Yeh, these are real firebellies! I have an out-of-focus nose shot than looks like a firebreathing dragon - (unless I'm just overexcited) - will post soon!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
Utta
When's your clutch hatchin?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
When's your clutch hatchin?
Oh God, don't start me.....

Been waiting breathlessly for 2 1/2 months now. Problem is not many people breed Candoia bibroni bibroni, and those that do say the pregnancy can last between 7 to 9 months.

So given that I left the males in with her for 4 weeks, her projected date was anywhere between mid-May and mid-August. Obviously she's either holding out for mid-August or my first heart attack, whichever comes soonest.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!