Replies to classified ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Should the classified sections be reopened to allow replies to threads?
Yes, I think it will be helpful 17 44.74%
No, I think it would detract from the usefullness 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
WebSlave
Question Replies to classified ads

I've been getting a number of emails from people baffled by their inability to post replies in the classified sections on this site. They would like to respond to the ad within the thread and get more information without a more direct manner of doing so.

This is often compounded by the problem of the person posting the ad not providing adequate contact information within the ad itself.

So I am considering reopening the classified sections for replies to the messages posted there and am asking for opinions on this change.

Pros:
(1) People can reply immediately to an ad, and the answers may help other viewers gain more information about what is being offered.

(2) I will stop getting those emails asking why they can't post replies in those threads.

(3) Any ads that are suspicious looking will have immediate feedback within the thread itself.

Cons:
(1) The ads will not be in strictly chronological order. A reply to a thread pops it back to the top of the classified section. Often referred to as "bumping". I will have to institute a warning point for the original poster doing this simply to put his/her ad back to the top of the section.

(2) The classified sections could turn into mini-BOIs with arguments flaring up in those threads. This could wind up being more work for me as well as the moderators.

Anyway, how about voting on the poll here and let me know what you all think about this.

Thanks.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
While I see the usefullness of having the ability to respond to adds, I really don't see it being enough of a Pro to outweigh the cons.

Also~ It really looks like it will just make more work for you and the other mods. If people want to use this FREE site, well then they will have to do a little work on thier own and check the BOI associated with this site before purchasing or take the risk always associated with on-line advertisements.

How about you a put a notice on the top of the add boards stating that responses can not be made to the advertisements, and that all sellers should be checked out on the BOI. Then just ignore any e-mails asking WHY, or draft out a standard response you can paste in reply that tell people to learn to read the announcements.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
DThomas
Here is a link to the rules they use over on the Broadband Reports.com website's classifieds. It works pretty well and the Mods over there enforce the rules strictly, especially the 24 hour bump rule.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...sale~mode=flat

You can institute a rule that any BOI type of questions/accusations be limited to the BOI and are not allowed in the classifieds section. Warning points and post deletions for breaking the rules.

You could always just try it out on a trial basis and maybe ask for a couple of volunteers that you trust to act as mods over it to strictly enforce the rules.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #4
Darin Chappell
Personally, I like being able to comment on others ads, if I'm interested, and I like having others comment on mine. I think it sort of weeds out the window shoppers too, because it gives them the opportunity to make comment like "Nice animal!" without clogging up the old email. However, the same tendancy uses up space here.

Whatever you decide is fine, WebSlave. I like it over at cornsnakes.com, but it may be too cumbersome here. I'm still amazed at how markedly different the two sites are from one another in tone, given how many of us frequent both sites!

Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
MR_Jungle_Mist
WS-

I think that being able to comment on posts in the classifieds will end up clogging everything up and making it look a mess. I think one of the biggest problems will be for those of us who like to view new ads. Old ads will keep popping up and we'll see them repetitively because of people posting a "Nice looking Corn!" reply to them. I would, personally, like to have it stay as it is so it can have some order to it.

Also, like you said, you run the risk of it turning into a mini-BOI making things a lot tougher for you and the mods because of all the reading and patrolling you'll have to do.

I can understand that you get emails asking why people can't reply, but you'll run the risk of replacing those emails with people who are ticked off because of replies tagged with their ads and how they can't post ads here because they always get slammed for something or other.

Just my $.03 (sorry....inflation)

Old 10-17-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
DThomas
To help with the "nice looking animal" posts is you just don't allow them, period.Unless it is a legitimate question regarding the sale of the item, all other posts will be deleted. It could work but it would take a commitment from those that moderate it and very strictly enforced rules.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
Seamus Haley
They used to be allowed.

Lotta mini-BOI threads.

There were even a few where people simply accused others of wrongdoing by replying to the ad itself.

The moderators here can reply to classified ads. Any questions that end up being asked more than once... The person who posted the ad should edit it to include the information.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #8
MR_Jungle_Mist
Then again...

It would be nice to follow up an ad that has

Quote:
2.2 breeding group of redtail boas All are proven.. Will sell as pairs or whole group only!!! $200.00 a pair 0r $400.00 for all!!!!
with a smart-@$$ comment like "Wait....so the deal is I can buy two for $200 or I can get a deal and buy four for twice as much?"

No disrespect meant, and good luck to the seller.

Old 10-18-2003, 07:35 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
I have to go with no on this one, I just simply don't see the use of it.
Every ad has a PM and an email button right there, contacting the seller is easy.
It will turn into a mini BOI, it happened last time.
It will also bring ads up repeatedly in the view new posts function without any benefit.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
ksshane
Quote:
I have to go with no on this one, I just simply don't see the use of it.
Every ad has a PM and an email button right there, contacting the seller is easy.
It will turn into a mini BOI, it happened last time.
It will also bring ads up repeatedly in the view new posts function without any benefit.
You read my mind. If you have a question about an ad... How many ways do you really need to ask.

The only benefit I can see is it would allow a seller that was selling more than one animal or cage to update the thread by saying that one was sold, and that so many where left.
But the way it is now. All they have to do is delet their post, and repost.
Pretty simple the way it is.

I think it would just turn back into another mini BOI like it was before.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!