sexing question- male or female? Whats your guess? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
FamilyZoo
sexing question- male or female? Whats your guess?

I bought this boa as a baby in 2004. The seller sold it to me as a female. I have probed it a dozen times over the last couple of months and have always probed at the 3 to 4 scale mark. My concern is that I have been told that she has what some consider large spurs and could be male. I am looking at purchasing a male soon for her soon and before I make this purchase I want to post some pics and get some other opinions.

All three of my boas have probed as female. I have not probed a male to really feel confident.
So whats your opinion. I included a tail shot also.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Art Klass
3 -4 scales certainly suggests a female. It's tail looks short, which also suggests female. The spurs don,t seem very much out of place for a female. Maybe a little large. If you have probed your boa a dozen times or so with the same result I would be comfortable with the results. I think it's a female.... but don't quote me on it.
Go with your gut. Buy a male. Art

Old 01-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
hhmoore
I agree with Art that the scale depth is indicative of a female (which you already knew). Just out of curiosity, how long have you been probing, and how did you learn (since you said you have never probed a male)? You say all 3 of your boas probed as females...were they all purchased as females? And who was it that raised the question/doubt...somebody with enough experience to trust? My thought would be that somebody with enough skill/knowledge/experience to judge a snakes sex by appearance (and be trusted) should be able to back up their theories with a probe. If they don't know how, can't, or you don't trust them to do so - ignore them and go with your own findings
As for the spurs, they might be just a little bigger than those of my 04 females, but I don't have an 04 male to compare with

Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Ed Lilley
I'd say female those are small spurs and thats what a female should probe.. When she gets some size to her it will probably be tought to even see those spurs..

Old 01-25-2006, 03:28 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyZoo
I have probed it a dozen times over the last couple of months
Hi Mark, It looks like you have a female there. So you can quit violating her. J/K
By the way, Happy Birthday.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
FamilyZoo
Appreciate all the replies. Im going with female. Hopefully this time next week I will have two of three males rolling into the house. Il post pictures of them when they get here.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
OrganicBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Hi Mark, It looks like you have a female there. So you can quit violating her. J/K

Lauging out loud... That poor girl!

- Damian

Old 01-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
MGReptiles
I probe everything that comes in here at least 10 times during the first year they are in my possion.. My snakes hate me...lol.. Except for this one female that just smiles at me and gives me 20 bucks

Old 01-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
hhmoore
I am NOT gonna say it.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
MGReptiles
HAHAHAHAHA.. Come on..lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!