HR 511: speak up - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Mike_Sargente
HR 511: speak up

Folks,
HR 511 will have to be voted on by the full House.
Write, call or email your state's congressmen and tell them you are opposed.
They will pay attention if people make a stink.
Be specific, be concise, be polite. Use facts, don't just complain.
I just sent out a pile of letters, and will follow up with emails.

In my letter I argued against the bill on the following points:
1. Economically damaging.
2. Makes a national issue out of a state issue (Florida's problem, not a national problem)
3. Species named in HR511 were not deemed to be "injurious" in recent ruling by USFWS. Why is Congress suddenly getting involved?
4. HR511 is biased: snakes are a hard sell for sympathy. The issue has been wildly sensationalized by the media. Based on the facts, cats and pigs need to be banned if the concern is controlling invasive, ecologically damaging species (along with starlings, house sparrows, Norway maple, wisteria, etc.). Ban dogs and horses if the concern is public safety.
5. HR511 is excessive/overreaching act of federal government. This is an issue for state governments to address, if necessary. For nearly all states north of the Everglades, it is not necessary.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!