Snakes in rural Oklahoma? Advice needed. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Wasper
Snakes in rural Oklahoma? Advice needed.

Hi. I know very little about snakes and need some info & advice.

I recently moved to rural Oklahoma. I'm told that there are a lot of diamondbacks & copperheads out here. I've already seen one rattlesnake and it scared me to death!!

Questions:

-What venomous snakes should I be aware of out here?

-If I see one, how should I react?

-I live alone on a 10 acre plot. How can I best avoid these snakes and prevent them from getting near my house?

-I'm at least 20 minutes from any medical facility. What do I do if I get bit?

-I know I sound like a clueless wimp but I've never lived around venomous snakes before.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
chondrojim
You could check out this web site www.oksnakes.org or you could check into the Tulsa Herp Club at tulsaherpclub@aol.com if you are anywhere close to Tulsa. Other then that the best way to get rid of unwanted snakes is to get rid of their food source and clear all habitat that could warrent the snakes to stay in that area. Best of luck with your situation and stay safe.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
jsrocket
Unless, your workday puts you up close and personal to the local terrain (i.e. farmer, surveyor, etc.) you don't have much to worry about.

A rattlesnake would most likely to be the animal you would encounter, and they usually make it pretty obvious when you encroach on their territory. It'll be the snake with a rattle on the end of its tail, buzzing like a beehive.

If you do stumble across one, FREEZE. Give the snake a chance to escape, and usually it will. Back away SLOWLY. Most bites are caused because the person tries to mess with the snake.

Generally, wild rattlesnakes only bite in defense as a last resort, when faced with a large predator. They can strike about 1/3 to 1/2 their body length, so while you're "frozen" do a quick calculation. Ask yourself, "Can this snake reach me if it wanted to?"

If the answer is "no", simply back off.

If the answer is "yes", well, then it becomes a judgment call.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
jsrocket
PS, the best way to avoid getting bitten is to read up a little on the habits of these snakes, and don't put yourself in a position to get bit (i.e. turning over a piece of sheet metal with bare hands, or reaching into gopher holes, etc.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!