how long should i leave stitches in for? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
redhood23
how long should i leave stitches in for?

I HAVE A BABY BALL THAT I HAD TO STITCH UP, BEING IN THE MEDICAL FIELD, I WAS ABLE TO DO IT MYSELF. I JUST DONT KNOW HOW LONG TO LEAVE THEM IN A SNAKE FOR. IT HAS BEEN 11 DAYS AND HE IS EATING FINE NOW. WHAT HAPPENED WAS HE WAS ON MY FLOOR AND KNOCKED OVER A GLASS, IT ALMOST CUT HIM IN HALF. I HAD TO GIVE HIM 30 INTERNAL STITCHES AND 58 EXTERNAL.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
Take him to a vet!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
JordanAng420
Say what??? You stiched up your snake with 88 stiches total and no anesthesia whatsoever? 58 externals on a baby ball...? Not only is that compleatly inhumane, but you're running a HUGE risk of infection as well by not doing this SURGERY in a sterile environment.

Well, what's done is done I guess...I hope you used absorbable suture material to do the internal sutures. If you didn't you're going to have a major situation on your hands. After 10-14 days the externals should be ready to come out, depending on how the wound looks. I hope you've kept the area clean. I'm suprised you claim it's eating.

Do me a favor, next time please call a veterinarian. There's a reason they make local and general anesthetics...and there's also a reason veterinarians and nurses (like myself) go through so much school....

I hope this post isn't actually for real. Would YOU like 88 sutures with no anesthesia and no pain medication???

Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
JordanAng420
On a more positive note, I truly wish the best for your snake, and I hope everything ends up well.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
mrwenninger
sutures

I leave reptile sutures in place for 3-4 weeks to avoid dehiscence.
Michael Wenninger DVM

Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
DVMExotics
I know this is an old post but just to reiterate a couple things. First it should have seen a qualified experienced veterinarian. Second sutures should stay in minimum 3 to 4 weeks, some even as long as 6 weeks depending on the surgery and the site of closure etc.

Christopher Stancel, DVM

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!