Call To All members here.... - Page 21 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #201
chunk53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
I got this letter from Mr. Jerry Costello our state representative from IL after contacting him concerning the python ban. I have also talked to him personally on the phone. I would like to send him an email back and wanted to know if there is anything anybody would like me to tell him. I have had direct contact with him so hopefully we can send an email that will make a difference. Thanks in advance.
Please tell your representative that there have only been about 20 deaths from snakes in 30 years and there are an average of 200 caused by horses a year and about the same caused by dogs. Also, remember to include that the species Boa Constrictor has never killed a single person, and that this would also ban all sub-species, including Boa Constrictor Impuritor, which is the Hogg Island Boa. Make sure they realize that these only get 5-6 feet max length. Also, point out that these snakes can live in pretty much only the everglades and could never survive in anywhere that has a real winter. This bill would ban them from places such as Utah, where our summer temps would cook these snakes and our winters would freeze them. And from places like Arizona and Nevada who's summer temps would also cook any of the snakes listed in the ban. Places like North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Alaska all get to cold at some point during the year for these snakes to survive and it is unfair of Congress to not let responsible pet owners in any state, especially these ones, own these snakes. This should be thrown out on a national level and the Florida Legislature needs to deal with this on a state level.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #202
corns&balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk53 View Post
Please tell your representative that there have only been about 20 deaths from snakes in 30 years and there are an average of 200 caused by horses a year and about the same caused by dogs. Also, remember to include that the species Boa Constrictor has never killed a single person, and that this would also ban all sub-species, including Boa Constrictor Impuritor, which is the Hogg Island Boa. Make sure they realize that these only get 5-6 feet max length. Also, point out that these snakes can live in pretty much only the everglades and could never survive in anywhere that has a real winter. This bill would ban them from places such as Utah, where our summer temps would cook these snakes and our winters would freeze them. And from places like Arizona and Nevada who's summer temps would also cook any of the snakes listed in the ban. Places like North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Alaska all get to cold at some point during the year for these snakes to survive and it is unfair of Congress to not let responsible pet owners in any state, especially these ones, own these snakes. This should be thrown out on a national level and the Florida Legislature needs to deal with this on a state level.
chunk53, I'm sure your intentions are good. You are listing specific snakes, and States in the Northwest and Southwest. We need to be united! No snake ban period. The snakes on the list could not survive a winter in most States, or the summer in a lot of States as you listed. The Everglades are the only place in the United States that they could survive in the wild, so it should only be a local issue for the DNR and that's all. Sorry, I just had to chime in on that.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #203
kmarsh
We all need to keep the lines of communication open in any place you have it. Educate your Senators, Congressmen, Representatives. That is the key let them hear your voice, meet you and know your concerns, fears and beleifs. We just got a pass on the s.303 here in GA but its no time to sit back and think that it won't surface again. We all need to be where ever there is a hearing, a petition, a meeting, or anything where we can keep up on what is happening.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #204
davidnizmo
thanks for the url just voted

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #205
Python1986
Did you see the python spescial on{NGC}?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #206
chunk53
Quote:
Originally Posted by corns&balls View Post
chunk53, I'm sure your intentions are good. You are listing specific snakes, and States in the Northwest and Southwest. We need to be united! No snake ban period. The snakes on the list could not survive a winter in most States, or the summer in a lot of States as you listed. The Everglades are the only place in the United States that they could survive in the wild, so it should only be a local issue for the DNR and that's all. Sorry, I just had to chime in on that.
I know they can only survive in the everglades I just wanted to give some examples and didn't wanna type out all states lol. Also the reason I listed individual snakes is because these are the specific snakes the bill currently lists. It is not stated that ALL pythons are to be baned just 9 specific species. The biggest concern is that they way it is written allows for some interpretation and it is possible to be interpreted as stating that all Pythons are baned.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #207
kmarsh
They are specific on the pythons but not on the boa's and it does seem to include all boas which could mean the hogg island boa which is a small snake and certainly not a danger. This is just more rush to ban without real thought and certainly without necessity since florida already has a program in place.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #208
chunk53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarsh View Post
They are specific on the pythons but not on the boa's and it does seem to include all boas which could mean the hogg island boa which is a small snake and certainly not a danger. This is just more rush to ban without real thought and certainly without necessity since florida already has a program in place.
The bill does currently list the boas to be band as well. These are all Anacondas, and the species Boa Constrictor

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #209
kmarsh
Thats what I was saying, they list the burmese, african rock retic on the pythons but on the boa's it just says boa's. It doesnt say larger boas or redtail boas so it means ANY boa even the small hogg island boas would be on that list of banned.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #210
theoneinblack
Donie and more done. I told a ferw of my friends, too... They've voted as well. By the way, the vote currently stands at 3% for, 97% against.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!