Black Headed Python Eye Problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
yasin
Black Headed Python Eye Problem

Hello All,

I am a proud owner of 1.1 2012 Aspidites melanocephalus. They have been doing great since I bought them in March but recently I have been having a problem with my male. A couple months ago, his eyes started to fill up slowly with shiny blue liquid. Initially, I thought he was going into shed but the fluid was not completely filling the eye, one eye was normal, and you could see small bubbles, which obviously does not happen when they go into shed etc. I got scared and took him to the closest reptile vet I have here thinking that it is a blocked lacrimal duct problem. They did some tests and found that the ducts were clear as much as they can see but found some bacteria and treated him with antibiotics. The problem seemed to clear up but it was probably due to the daily soaking they gave him as the fluid drains when he eats or takes a bath.

Anyway, the issue started again about a week after he came home. I soaked him couple times a week and the fluid drained but it always came back at the end. He shed about a month ago and he was fine for 3 weeks or so but today I saw that his right eye was half filled again! The snake does not seem to have much problem with it, eats and acts normally, but I am obviously worried and wanted to see if any of you have noticed similar problems with your own animals.

Just to keep in mind, his sister lives in the exact same conditions and she never had an issue like this.

Please let me know if I can do anything to help him out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Sorry, I have no personal experience with this, but if you use the "Search" function for Swollen Eyes a few threads pop up.

Most recently this one seems to have some helpful posts;

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...t=Swollen+eyes

Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
April Homich
I don't know if your issue is similar, but when I received a snake with an eye infection, the vet cut a window in the eyecap to allow drainage and direct application of topical meds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!