Red Tail Boa Osteoarthrosis - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
RhacGurl
Red Tail Boa Osteoarthrosis

Hi there,
I have recently adopted a RTB in may of this year. She presented signs that she may have had IBD. She had trouble moving, would not grip and would not eat. For a few months I worried and tried to decide what to do because she never star gazed. Several people told me to "freeze" her and protect my other snakes. (she was/still is in quarantine)

Finally I decided I couldn't just cull her and brought her in to Dr. Mertz at Odd Pet Vet at the New England Wildlife Center. He diagnosed her with Osteoarthrosis. Basically this means her spine is fusing. I have been working with a holistic vet and doing research on this condition. I was wondering if anyone out there could point me in any direction with this. We would like to figure out if we can treat it similarly to osteoarthritis. She has trouble eating because her neck is kinked severely and I worry without treatment she will not live much longer. She has had two small meals in the last six months. I presume it is painful for her to wrap and swallow but she is hungry.

Today I took Xrays and there is not a lot of visible growth on the spine. It makes me believe she is arthritic. Since she was an adoption animal I do not have an extensive history. I was told she was in hurricane Katrina and she is roughly four years old. I am not sure how true that this is. For all I know she could have lived in a shoebox under a kids bed in New England for her whole life. Since Osteoarthrosis can end up being fatal (because they can not eat) and I work for a veterinarian I have a unique opportunity to try and treat her without spending a ton of money. I dream of a long happy life for this girl and she is a fighter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, not just by me, but by her as well!

Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
hadenglock
laser therapy, pain meds, access to uvb, and depending on the case surgery are all things that could help in pain relief for her, however dealing with osteoarthritis in snakes is very difficult and euthanasia should never be left out of consideration no animal should have to suffer if they do not have to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!