My First Beardie - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #81
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

WOW what great pics of Tobias! He is really growing. Yes I can see the changes on his little head. What a cute little boy he is!
He likes having his neck rubbed? How sweet. He loves attention then.
Well, as long as he is getting his crickets, however he wants them is fine! I am sure that he will start eating on his own more & more. He is still dependent on his mommy! LOL
Great job! Thanks for posting the pics for me. He looks very happy.

Tracie

Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #82
harmonysmom
He's gotten smarter. I have tubes that I let the crickets crawl into, to make transport to Toby's cage easier. I normally shake them out one at a time close to where Toby is perched at the time, and he'll chase them, or I do and feed him from hand. I stuck the tube full of crickets into the cage, and before I had a chance to shake, he was attacking them before they got out. He got a very easy and big meal for lunch. haha...I eventually had to take the tube out. The crickets got smart and came swarming out all at once, freaked him out.

I caught him eating back and forth between his commercial dragon food and his veggies yesterday. He stopped within a min. of me going inside and seeing though. Little brat.

I plan on measuring and weighing him again middle of next week. So I will post that when I get done. How often do you think I should do that? Once a week, every other week, a month? And how much do you think he should be growing/gaining right now in that time period?

Old 09-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #83
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

That is so hilarious what Tobias did! He got a huge meal then, good for him! Those crickets never had a chance, did they? Poor things. Yes, they are very very smart, that is for sure. He will learn plenty more, too.
Great he is eating the dragon bites, & the veggies & greens, but only when you aren't watching! That is so funny. He will eventually get used to you being around when he eats them though! LOL
You can measure & weigh him weekly if you want to. Right now with him growing so quickly you will most likely see changes on a weekly basis. It will slow down, but definitely not yet. Just keep it in a little notebook or journal & it will be interesting for you to read later on, as well as keep a picture book too.

Tracie

Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #84
harmonysmom
No, they had no chance. It's funny watching him. It's like watching a dog waiting for you to throw the ball. He gets as flat as he can on his belly, has his head cocked, and crawls around until he sees a cricket get ready to come out. Very amusing!

He eats his veggies EARLY in the morning I've learned. Once again, because nobody is watching and what not. So, now I have a pattern I can work out with it.

I have a huge picture book already of him...haha...I'm a photo fanatic!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #85
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

Yeah that would be great to watch, very entertaining!
I bet he is going through another growth spurt! He is going to eat you out of house & home.
He eats his greens & veggies when no one is watching. You should record it if you can that is so hilarious! Great you already have tons of pictures, too. They are precious.

Tracie

Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #86
harmonysmom
I'm going to have to do that one night/day. It's just a matter of getting up out of bed and remembering to do so. The only recording device I have is on my camera, it only lasts for about 1-2 hours tops. So it would have to be set pretty early on.

Hopefully, when he's bigger, I'll be giving him roaches instead of a lot of crickets. I might just use roaches as an occasional treat for him since hubby is growing less fond of the idea as the days go by. :P He's afraid one or more might get loose.

I have to make another cricket order for him here again shortly....some of the ones I had ended up trampled and dead....*yikes*

Anywho, I will post his measurements tomorrow sometime.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #87
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

That would be so hilarious to catch him eating his greens & veggies early in the morning! It would be like, Busted!
My hubby is the same way, afraid that one roach would get loose, so, it is crickets for us, too. As long as the bin is kept clean, there really isn't any smell.
Where are you buying yours from?
I am anxious to see measurements.

Tracie

Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #88
harmonysmom
I get my crickets from Ebay, from a seller that has had excellent feedback with it. He even has a guarantee that if they arrive more than 1/3 dead he will send you the same order a second time. It's only happened once where the order ended up here almost a week after it should have, and he sent me out another batch...to make up for it.

His Measurements:

Length: 9.5-10 inches long
Weight: 1.2 oz (34 grams)

....he was VERY jumpy today. After I weighed and measured him, I brought him over to the desk like I normally do so I could record it on the paper. He jumped out of my hands, onto my desk, then jumped from the desk to the tower, from the tower down to the printer (too long a jump, but would have been ok, if he didn't land in the paper loader *sighs*), then I grabbed him up, and he did it all over again, only this time, instead of going to the tower, he jumped off t he back of my desk and caught himself on some wires and hung there until I was able to reach him. Such a daredevil he is.

What would be some good things for me to buy for him that he can climb on when he's not in his cage? Like mice have their mouse balls, ferrets have tunnels, cats have posts, dogs have balls....what can I get for him that he'd enjoy? Any ideas? I've almost thought about one of those cat posts since he likes to climb, and the carpet on it would give him something to grasp when he goes up...it's just, the trip down, that worries me. :P

Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #89
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Well, that is good as long as he stands on his word for the crickets, no problems there. If I was breeding on a larger scale, I would sell some for you.

Tobias is growing, that is great! I bet you can't wait until he hits 100 grams.
Wow he sure was active after his weighing & measuring, & it sounds like he had a blast too!
Hm, I think a catpost sounds like a good idea, or one of those other cat tunnel type things, would be neat. Does he have a hammock or something like that hanging in his tank? They like those things, to hang out on.
At least he gets some exercise though.
I am happy he is doing so well now. Great job!

Tracie

Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #90
harmonysmom
No, he doesn't have a hammock yet....I'm not going to get him one until he's in his permanent tank. Something me and hubby talked about. We are doing a waterfall type thing in his permanent too. Lots of ideas for it. So, I know I'll have to get it set up a bit before he completely out grows the one he is in now.

He is still small enough to sit on the fake leaves in his tank, which is a good thing.

Yeah, I haven't had any problems with the crickets he's been sending. I've been getting my phoenix worms off Ebay from another guy as well. He sells baby beardies too, don't know if I will go through him next time, or this other person I found not too long ago though. They are all too cute and reasonably priced!

Where can I go to get silk worms and butter worms from? Haven't been able to find them.

He ate some of his veggies today. I know what he's been doing. He LOVES carrots...I guess because they are orange. But I made him up a whole mix of stuff then stirred it in with squash baby food. He picked out as many carrots as he could without getting the greens. It was funny. I got him to take a HUGE bite of the whole thing, but after he swallowed, he gave it this real funny look, tilted his head all the way to the side, stared at it, then looked at me, back at the food, and went to his rock. I don't think he was too happy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!