Sevin dust for mites? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
phoenix-cry
Dear Lord...I went to a reptile show about two weeks about....but...but I didn't touch anything. At least I didn't hold any reptiles. But I did touch the tables.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
hadenglock
Actually ive used sevins dust for snakes and lizards with no problems for years. When i worked at a pet store, if i found mites, i would put the snake/lizard in a pillowcase filled with a mixture of aspen chips and sevins dust. The idea is that the animal will burrow and move around in the dust coated aspen and killing off any attached mites. I then use provent a mite to spray down the cage and anything in it.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
hadenglock
I also then put a small amount of dust in the substrate of the animals enclosure to provent near future break outs, again ive had no side effects or issues when doing this and even my veterinarian uses this method when he has an outbreak in his collection.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
brytelyte
Ive had to use ivermectin, and PAM, but only use ivermectin if it is seriously diluted it is still controversial to use but my reptile vet gives me the dosages i should use.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
radera5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Prevent a Mite. Okay, can do.

When I came on here for the first time with the mites no one mentioned that. Everyone said "soak them, olive oil them, and use Provent"

Wait...is the provent spray the same as prevent a mite? It's a white can with a black top, cost about 20$ you spray it on the bedding not the snake?
All the cans I've seen, the couple of cans I have in the closet (never had to use it thank goodness), all the conversations I've seen about it, I never noticed it said "Provent. Wow. This is embarrassing! lol

Sounds like you were doing the right thing.

I personally still don't use olive oil or anything else, I'm sure it can help for a temporary fix if you don't have PAM but I stick to just PAM.

Anyway, you learn something new everyday I guess lol.

Good luck Lauren.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
phoenix-cry
Haha! Yup! I have PAM. I just wanted to check to see if anyone thought Sevin might be better. I'll stick to PAM.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
chrisis697
I have used 7 dust on my balls, haha no for real tho. I was treating ticks on a wild caught i recieved. It worked great although i think it seemed to bother the snake a little. The night after i used it she escaped from her cage which never happened before. If the other stuff dont work i would try it but do so sparingly. Good lucker

Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
phoenix-cry
Okay, mite update:

Sprayed all tubs on the 23, did a full check of everyone today and found not a single living mite! DIE! muahahahahaha!! DIE!!!

So mite free again. I just never thought I'd get mites without adding a critter to my rack!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
eastcoastreptiles
What did you spray your tubs with? Sevin dust mixed with water? I've got a mite problem myself. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
phoenix-cry
I ended up doing the Provent!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!