Burmese Python Rescue Case - Need Help Determining Health Issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Siukie
Burmese Python Rescue Case - Need Help Determining Health Issues

Alright, so I got a burm last night. It was more of a rescue case for me, it just broke my heart seeing any snake being treated in such a manner..

Anyway, she is 4 years old, female and only around 6ft or so. Extremely thin and underweight. Her previous owner hadn't really been feeding her much if at all. After inspecting her, I found she had a very bad case of mites. Which I am currently treating. Her previous owner had kept her in a glass tank in wood shavings, with incorrect lighting that was creating far too much heat. She was not provided with a water bowl either. Her skin is extremely dried out and her scales are what looks to be like chipping in some areas. She was sneezing a little bit when I first brought her in last night, no visual signs of bubbles around her mouth and nose normally. However, I soaked her for awhile in a warm tub and rubbed her down to get some mites off. She hasn't sneezed since her bath, and the only time I have seen bubbles around her nose or mouth was right after I took her out of the tub, before I finished drying her. Now my question is, do you think she has URI? The sneezing could of very well been due to her dry habitat previously, dusty bedding, and lack of humidity for her last sheds. As I have not seen any sneezing since her bath. I've been keeping a close eye on her all day and have not seen any bubbles as I said, only after her baths does she bubble for a few minutes. She doesn't seem to be wheezing at all either. So it's a toss up if she has URI or if she simply just came to me with a lot of problems that caused her to have a few sneezed. She is a sweet, sweet girl and it breaks my heart that people can mistreat these snakes like this. I'm hoping to get her back to health and back on a good feeding schedule. Let me know what you guys think. I will post some pics of the bubbles after her bath that she gets. Some advice on this would be appreciated, as this is the worst condition I have ever gotten a snake in. Normally I would of let her be, due to the expenses I am already racking up with all my other snakes. But again, seeing a burm like this seriously was just wrong. So a new little girl I have.. lol.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Siukie
Here is a pic of the bubble I caught on her nostril after her bath. She had a second bath this morning, and had a few small bubbles around her mouth after I got her out of the tub. But a few minutes later they were gone. She only gets them right after a bath, so I'm not sure if this is URI or not.

Her skin is looking a little better already from the 2 baths she had.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
hadenglock
Hydration is crucial when dealing with a situation like this, soak her every couple of days along with daily misting should ensure proper hydration, Try to increase the heat so her metabolism will rise to help fight off illness. After these things are done try to feed her. A trip to the vet is also something you should consider because you do not know if the cause of the URI is bacterial or viral which are two completely different things to treat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!