Hurricanes and disasters: What to do with your reptiles? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
Lucille
Hurricanes and disasters: What to do with your reptiles?

This last hurricane caught me unprepared. We have hurricanes pretty regular on the Gulf Coast, there is often some damage and flooding but nothing like what was forecast for Rita.

Fortunately, damage here in my town was minimal, but I need a better plan for next time. If Rita had been true to forecast as a deadly Category 5, I would probably have no house to come home to since I am fairly close to the coast.

Taking them with? I don't know. The exodus from Houston was about the worst traffic jam in history, with hundreds abandoning their vehicles when they ran out of gas, since gas supplies were depleted for hundreds of miles as millions fled.

Thousands told of commute times of up to 18 hours just to get to the north side of Houston from their homes, like mine, south of town, and of total travel times of up to 30 hours to reach safety.

What would you do, those of you who are in hurricane prone coastal areas, if a truly deadly hurricane loomed?

Old 10-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
chibicricket
I'm not in a hurricane area, but I already have thought about being in a similar situation because I have so many little critters in my home.
If the case was I had time well in advance to get out before the disaster, I have relatives to stay with all over the country, I'd drive to one of them with all my animals.
If I didn't have time, I'd pile all my pets into their travel containers, hop in the car and just start driving as far as I could and find a hotel someplace safe.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
shrap
Well considering in the next 12 months that I will be moving to Florida, I have thought about this a lot.

Leaving my animals behind will not be an option. TV's, clothes, PCs, etc are all replaceable, my animals are not. They are all very dear to me. Form my high dollar Ball morphs all the way down to my "Normal" Leopard Geckos.

What you need is an "emergency kit" set up and ready long before they will be needed. Mine will consist of five- 5 gallon gas cans already filled and waiting, lots of pillow cases, several BIG coolers, cool and heat packs, thermometer/Tempgun, bags of ice (for frozen rodents), lots of Sterilite tubs and lots of pre-wired flexwatt. That gives me everything I need to safely transport them and everything I need to temporarily set them up (even in a hotel room) and feed them. All for just a couple hundred bucks.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
LakesideBoas
Heat packs, cold packs, bottled water, emergency cash.. all have been thought of before hand and I onlylive in a tornado area....

Regardless the critters ARE goin' with me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!