Smoothies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Robust_Beardies
Smoothies

We don't see dragons that show the smoothie/leatherback trait very often but we find them to be very pretty. Is the smoothie/leatherback trait a dominant/recessive trait that can be passed down to it's babies or does it just happen as a fluke? Does anyone know of any behavioral or medical conditions that follow this trait? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Valley Dragons
I don't know!

I've asked this same question to a few people before, and I always get the same answer - "we don't know yet". I wish I knew the answer to this one as well!

Jamie

Old 05-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
AxelMyBaby
I believe it's passed down, I dunno though.

I'll be sure and look into it though.

Nice Google search idea

Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Valley Dragons
new morph!

Here's some info about leatherbacks and a cool new morph called silkbacks.

http://www.pogonavitticeps.it/intr_file/page0004.htm

Jamie

Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
whiskersmom
So, they're pushing for this morph?
I'm sorry, I don't think this is a good thing. Why change what they are? Are they bored with normal beardies?
Has anyone read the care sheets on these poor creatures? Doesn't sound like they're going to have that great of a life. Skin like that of a pinkie??? No scales?

For some reason people just feel the need to keep messing with nature.
It wasn't enough that they have to live with the Adeno Virus careless breeders have inflicted upon them, they now have to live with skin like that of a pinkie.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Valley Dragons
Well, you can't point too many fingers because most of the beardies that we all own now have been "tampered with" so to speak. Bred for color, and then bred for color some more due to popular demand - by people just like you and me. Unless you personally own one straight out of the Outback, then you have helped contribute to the "problem."

And blaming "careless breeders" for inflicting the adenovirus on bearded dragons? Come on now. That's right. We breeders are an evil lot!

Jamie

Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
Well, you can't point too many fingers because most of the beardies that we all own now have been "tampered with" so to speak. Bred for color, and then bred for color some more due to popular demand - by people just like you and me. Unless you personally own one straight out of the Outback, then you have helped contribute to the "problem."

And blaming "careless breeders" for inflicting the adenovirus on bearded dragons? Come on now. That's right. We breeders are an evil lot! Jamie
I've heard that excuse so much that it makes me ill.......so - if because we have done it once that gives us the right to do it over and over and over??? Yes, I own beardies and yes, I obviously have contributed but does that mean I want it to go further? Hell NO! Besides, you are comparing colors to scales. Where does it end? Someone is in the process of genetically removing the scales off of bearded dragons and you are ok with this??????? Blows my mind.

When, breeders were told not to breed and sell infected dragons, did they listen? No, I know for a fact that they are still breeding and selling infected dragons. You said "we breeders are an evil lot" are you admitting to being part of that group that cared nothing about breeding infected dragons?

I'm sorry, this isn't something I can ever think is ok (and I'm sure I'm not alone in my way of thinking), did you read the care sheets? It's not just the changing of the colors, it's changing them physically and not for the good.

Oh, and how are these creatures coming into being, by the way? Inbreeding maybe?
Please just answer one question...WHY??? What good is it? The only answer I can come up with is this will make some money.
Here we go again. Does anyone breed beardies anymore for just the sheer pleasure?

Jamie[/quote]

Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Valley Dragons
I breed beardies for the pleasure of it! I see it to some degree as a living artform, artistic expression in nature. I love spending time raising these awesome, beautiful, lovable animals. I am sure that others would agree. That does not mean that I don't have my dragon's best interest in mind regarding health, genetics, etc, so don't start into me about that.

I don't think that taking an interest in a new morph is a wrong thing. *Ducks to avoid getting head bitten off. Of course it came from some degree of inbreeding. DUH! Where do you think the bright red dragons and the lucy's and all the other morphs came from? Don't you realize that changing the color of the dragon still concentrates the gene pool (inbreeding) and makes for more genetic problems down the road? Are you so naive that you did not realize that?

Yes, I read the caresheet. Yes, they require different care than a regular bearded dragon. And your point is....?

As far as adeno goes...well, I'm not going to get into that argument again. I've made it clear both on here and on my website what I think about this virus. If you have a problem with my stance - and the stance of many, many others - then don't buy from us. It is simple as that!

Jamie

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
whiskersmom
I never accused you of not having your bearded dragons best interest at heart...I did ask you if you were admitting to being part of that group that cared nothing about breeding infected dragons?
You can look at it anyway you want....living artform, artisitic expression, whatever, it doesn't matter to me, but when you think that people have the right to purposely create, cultivate or promote a mutation all for the pleasure of grabbing onto some money, then you're wrong and no, you don't have the best interest of Bearded dragons at heart.
Go ahead and take an interest, I have one too but don't pretend that it's ethical to mess around with this species.

No I am not naive, I admitted to being apart of the unwitting party that bought bearded dragons based on color and yes, I do know that it was partly enabled through inbreeding but once again, does that mean that we should just keep doing it? All because it was done before?

It's unethical. We have no right to change these animals. My God, this reminds me of a bad sci-fi flick with mad scientists with their wired out hair splicing two different species together just because they could.

Any way you put it...it's ethically wrong. And eventually someone is going to have to own up to what they've done.
This is one time I wish there were animal regulations.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
whiskersmom
This is a bearded dragon;

And this is a bearded dragon;

To me, these are not bearded dragons but something out of someones imagination....since that someone is not God or even Mother nature, she has no right to tamper with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread