corn questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
kevk
corn questions

i'm thinking of getting a corn snake.it will be my first snake and i'm wondering if it's a good choice to start with.also can they eat something besides mice?my wife isn't real keen on that.any insight or tips would be appreciated.thanks everyone.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
starwarsdad
Corns make an excellent beginner snake. They can eat other prey items but mice are going to be the way to go due to cost and availability.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Mike Greathouse
Kevin,
The simplest way to keep your wife's concerns about mice in check is to purchase frozen mice of the appropriate size. You just have to convince her to give you a small place in the freezer for storage.

Then on feeding day, you simply thaw out the meal and feed.

No fuss, no muss.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Traci1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevk
i'm thinking of getting a corn snake.it will be my first snake and i'm wondering if it's a good choice to start with.also can they eat something besides mice?my wife isn't real keen on that.any insight or tips would be appreciated.thanks everyone.
You may be aware of this already, but make sure if you do get a corn snake that it is a red eyed one (some type of amelanistic morph). I believe I have read that in NJ you may not keep a normal colored corn snake. And I could have sworn I've seen people say any dark eyed corn snake. (but folks from NJ might want to clarify that)

Old 01-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
kevk
thanks for the input everyone.i was looking at the creamsicle variety.i'll check with nj fish and game about permits,etc.i was going to use a 55 gallon fishtank but styled like a terrarium.is that sufficient?thanks to all.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevk
thanks for the input everyone.i was looking at the creamsicle variety.i'll check with nj fish and game about permits,etc.i was going to use a 55 gallon fishtank but styled like a terrarium.is that sufficient?thanks to all.
A 55 will be more than enough. I believe Traci1 is correct about the NJ issues of only allowing Amel's to be kept.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!