Setting up my HOT room (PICTURES) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Kingetula
Setting up my HOT room (PICTURES)

Well I always enjoy looking at pictures of people’s setups so I thought I would start a post and show mine.

I recieved my Venomous Reptile Licence in 1993. In 1999 I got out of the hobby because of the Military and a bad marriage. I'm am now out of both and getting back to what I really love and have missed.

Picture #1

DANGER! You are about to enter my snake room. (Sign is cool IMO but also lets police or firefighters know why the door is closed and locked if such an event arises)
The door can only be opened with a key. Hanging from the door handle is a combination key safe that holds the key to the snake room. I have 2 kids in the house so safety, prevention and security come first. They know what these snakes can do but it’s better to be safe than sorry. They have their own non venomous snakes they can play with.

Picture # 2
Also notice framed Venomous License hanging on the wall along with emergency numbers (Hospital, Florida Fish Commission, Police and Vet) and also a list of what to do and what not to do in case of a bite. Sure I know what to do but in the panic (my GF or kids) may forget and they can just grab the frame and read the info if I'm not doing well. (This info is a few steps past the obvious like calling 911)

Picture # 3
Behind the door and along the bottom is a metal strip, the gap is so thin paper has a hard time sliding under. If a snake ever gets out it won’t be crawling under the door and chasing my GF around the house.

Picture # 4
The A/C vent and outtake vents are screened and secured with a staple gun. This prevents snakes from escaping through both vents.

I never had a HOT snake escape (knocks on wood) but if a snake does escape or gets away from me it will stay in the room till I can capture it.

More pictures to come in a day or so.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Looks nice, very professional! I hope to get into hots (in a limited fashion; copperheads and/or eyelash vipers) some day....but not today..hehehe

Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Kingetula
(ABOVE)

In picture # 3 you can see brown carpet. In picture # 4 you can see a wall right behind the A/C vent. That wall is a closet.

So I was sitting in my snake room the other day trying to figure out how I can add more snakes and cages. There are a few large snakes I would like to get and my current cages are only 4 foot.

Thoughts went through my head... I can put a shelf in front of the closet but that means I can't use the closet plus the A/C vent would be right over the cages. I decided the closet must go. The closet was built into the room and not behind a main wall.

Picture # 1
You can see the vent that once had a closet behind it. I should have taken pictures but when I decide to do something I don't slow down. You can see the white paint where the closet once was.

Picture # 2

Another shot of where the closet was.

Picture # 3

Pulling nails and wood that held down the carpet around the closet. My problem was once the closet was removed it left a 5" X 8 foot bare spot where the wall was. I decided to just go ahead and tile the floor. (Those pictures in a day or so)

Picture # 4

My big helper. That's my BOY, I LOVE HIM TO DEATH!
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Kingetula
Well last night my GF I were cleaning the walls and blinds, they were filthy after laying tile and all. (Not 100% done with the tile but the dirty part is pretty much over) I finished the dry wall repair and put on the texture. I don't have pictures but as you can imagine I had to repair the wall where the 2X4 held up the closet walls and I also got the ceiling ready, applied several more cans of popcorn. (What a freaking mess) Now we are ready for paint.

Picture # 1
Half the room is tiled.

Picture # 2
I decided to take the tile all the way down the hall. (Most of my house has the same tile)

Picture # 3
You can see the outline of where the closet once was. (That outline was the gap in the carpet that I had to fix and just decided to tile instead of replacing with carpet)

Picture # 4
I had to replace the door. The door I originally had was modified at the bottom because the carpet gave in a little and wasn't perfectly flat. Now with the tile the ground is flat and hard and as you will see in my next post is a perfect fit.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Kingetula
Picture # 1
Finishing putting on the new door

Picture # 2
Now the aluminum plate is cut to size and put under the door to prevent escape.

Picture # 3
This time I don't need a metal strip on the door. The door now closes with no gap. The door rubs a little when opening and closing but in time will ware down to a perfect fit. (Paper can not be slid under the door) (Sorry about the side shot, turn your head :-)

Picture # 4
Another shot of how it will look once the tile grout is done.

* I can't seem to get some of these pictures in order. Do your best
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Gary O
Put a second an third sign n the door. One about waste high and another on the ground. Why you ask. If tere is a fire and a fre fightr is on the ground and go to that room they know hots are inside that room.

Great looking so far

Old 08-31-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
TheFragginDragon
That is an excellent suggestion....and , looking great!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
Kingetula
Well I painted the wall and the ceiling today.

The caned popcorn I got from Lowes worked great but left a brown tint. The home builder used a white paint mix with the popcorn. I called the builder got the exact color and found out where they got the paint from. I was saved from painting the whole ceiling to get it all to match.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Kingetula
Well I didn't do much this weekend. I finished grouting and putting on the quarter round. I also drilled a couple holes in the tile so the metal plate is now secured under the door.

The rest of my shelves should be here this week and my Animal Plastic cages should arrive by next Monday.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
wow looking great!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!