Grilled pizza - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
BigTattoo
Grilled pizza

Being both a lover of baking bread and a huge lover of NY style pizza which I miss here in the midwest. I came up with this recipe and method of making pizza on my barbecue. It is the closest thing to true NY style pizza and is much better than anything you can buy outside of NY/NJ.

Dough recipe for a single 16" crust.

3/4 cups warm water, temp should be above 90* F but below 100* F to best activate the yeast.
approx. 3 cups flour, I prefer bread flour but unbleached white flour will work also.
1 TBLS sugar
1 TBLS salt.
1 TBLS olive oil. I prefer extra virgin but actually any good cooking oil will do.
2 packets active dry yeast.

Add yeast, sugar and 1 cup flour to mixing bowl then add water and stir well with wire wisk. Let sit 15-20 minutes until you see bubbles forming on the surface.
Add 1 1/2 cups more flour, salt and olive oil and begin to mix with stiff rubber/silicone spatula until it is a shaggy mass. Scrap this onto a well floured cutting board or counter, dust your hands with flour and the top of dough and begin kneading. At this point dough will be pretty moist and sticky. Knead dough by folding in half, pressing down and turn 1/4 turn and repeat until all the flour is picked up by the dough. Add more flour as needed but dough should remain slightly tacky and soft. Don't add flour until dough is dry and stiff.

Once your dough is the right consistancy begin folding the top of the dough under pulling down on the sides and turning. This will form dough into a smooth ball. Put 1 TBLS oil in a clean mixing bowl and add your dough with the bottom side facing up. Cover top of dough with the oil and roll it around in the bowl to coat the sides. Flip dough over and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place to rise for 1/2-1 hour or until dough has a least doubled in size.

Prepare your grill. I use 2 chimneys worth of coals. I like a mix of briquets and natural lump charcoal for better flavor but just briquets will work fine also. I also prefer to prepare my coals in a chimney style charcoal starter as I hate the taste of liquid starting fluids. Use your own method but use plenty of charcoal. Once coals are ready, fully covered with an ashy appearance pour them into your grill and bank them up around the sides leaving the middle area empty of coals. Put on your grate. Now is the time to put on your pizza stone or if you don't have one you can also pick up a large unglazed terra cotta ceramic tile at any flooring store for very little. I use a 18" ceramic pizza stone that was about $13.00 US that works great. Cover grill with lid and let sit 20 minutes to allow stone to get very hot.

While waiting for stone to heat you can now form your dough. Usually in the time it takes for me to get the grill ready to this point my dough has easily doubled in size. Dump dough out onto a lightly floured surface then lightly dust the top with flour. Begin stretching dough with your fingertips, no kneading is necessary at this point you just want to start stretching the dough into a pizza round. Stretch dough do not use a rolling pin as this will detract from the texture of your finished pizza. Stretch from the middle out to form and thinner crust in the middle to a thicker roll of crust around the outside edge. If using a pizza pan stretch dough to cover entire pan. Oil pan so the pizza will not stick while baking. I use a wooden peel which I liberally sprinkle with coarse corn meal so dough will roll off easily onto my pizza stone. Either method is fine and will make a very tasty well textured pizza. This will only take a few minutes.

Place dough on peel or pan and cover with a HOT damp, not wet, kitchen towel. I prefer flour sack type towels for this not a terry cloth one. Let this sit for the remainder of the time until your stone is nice and hot approx 15 minutes.

Uncover dough and add sauce. If you make your own sauce that's great or use a favorite bottled sauce from the store. You won't need or want a great deal of sauce, just enough to cover the dough so you can just see the dough through the sauce. Add grated Mozzarela and other toppings as desired. I like my pizza very cheesy and add Mozz so I can't see the sauce underneath but this is up to your preference. Don't use too many very wet toppings as with this method you will not cook this long enough to cook off excess moisture as you would if baking in a stove. I like mine simple and normally only put on Pepperoni or precooked loose hot Itailian sausage. Mushrooms, onions, red/green peppers, chopped black or green olives, minced garlic, anchovies for you anchovy lovers out there all are very good toppings. Coarse chopped fresh Basil, Oregano and sage are also very good additions.Fresh tomatoes are nice but your pizza will be very wet with these. Also don't use fresh Mozz as it will also make for a very wet pizza. If you want to use the wetter topping replace half your Mozz with a good dry grated cheese like Parmesian, Romano or Asiago. These drier cheeses will help ameliorate the liquids from your wet ingredients. I just add my wetter ingredients after cooking if I add them at all.

Time to start grilling. You will be very surprised at how fast this will cook. Your grill will now be somewhere around 600+*F which is much hotter than your oven can ever get. Place your pizza on the stone and cover grill. Check in about 4-5 minutes and rotate pizza on stone for even cooking. Cook 3-5 minutes more with grill covered. Your crust should be lightly browned but not burnt. Remove from grill and let set for a few minutes.

Now you are ready to eat probably the best homemade pizza ever that will rival the best pizza you ever had from a pizzeria. Enjoy.

Big T

Add

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!