Indigo conservation anyone? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
matt rand
Indigo conservation anyone?

for some reason this is a topic forbidden on KS.com.

those of us interested in indigo conservation recognize that the best chance for success is in preserving their natural habitat. here's an example of where pressure can be applied -- write letters!

check out this website:

http://www.savebiogems.org/emeraldcoast/

matt

Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
epidemic
Great link, Matt,

Thank you for sharing that! I have been trying to get folks keeping D. couperi, or simply interested in them, to join the Gopher Tortoise Council for years. I made a mention of the organization on KS and had a few people show genuine interest in the them, until the powers that be over there yanked my post. I find it sad they believed a forum posting pertaining to a non-profit, conservation orieneted and scientifically based organization violated their TOS. Anyhow, the link can be found at the following URL and I would really like to see anyone keeping D. couperi join on an annual basis, while I would like to hold breeders to taking the plunge for a lifetime membership!
Now, join organizations, make calls, send e-mails and write letters! Florida's natural habitat is shrinking and what isn't shrinking is being penetrated by road ways. Keep in mind, wildlife doesn't only need undeveloped habitat, but un-fragmented habitat as well...

http://www.gophertortoisecouncil.org/

Thanks again, Matt,

Jeff

Old 08-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
thesnakeman
Thanks Matt! I went, I read, I sent. And I too am a member of the Gopher Tortoise council. It's a good thing, and it feels good too. Here is a copy of a letter which I sent to the Ray Ashton of Ashton Biodiversity, last night. He asked for my thoughts, and this is what I said. He can be reached at; Tortfarm2@aol.com

Hi Ray,
I have some ideas which some folks may find objectionable. But I will attempt to convey the utmost tact of which I am capable. Please read with an open mind, and feel free to talk to me about my ideas.

My first idea is this; We must admit that what we have done so far is not enough. And that some serious changes must be made with regard to the conservation of the gopher tortoise and the eastern indigo snake, and their shared habitat.

My next suggestion is that we form an official "coalition" comprised of State Governments/biologists/geneticists, private breeders, universities and zoos across the country. That way all concerned entities could work more closely. Sharing information, and working together for this particular conservation issue.

Next, we recognize the eastern indigo and the gopher tortoise as requiring similar strategies, since they share such a coexistence in nature. We recognize them both as important, and valuable species, which often share the same habitat in nature. Therefore we should adopt an approach which allows that same thought process and theme in future conservation efforts, for these two key species, and their habitat. This would also equate to greater efficiency, better learning, information sharing, and success for all.

Next, we recognize that these two species are natural resources, which exist in the wild, and in captivity already.. And as resources, their potential to generate educational value, private commerce, and government fees from permits, sales, and reasonable tariffs, for regulation and future funding. We further recognize that these animals deserve nothing less than to be treated as National Treasures. And that much work needs to be done to protect, preserve, and promote them, both in the wild, and in captivity, in a world wide effort. We understand that we must manage both populations, wild, and captive, as a whole. That future conservation efforts should allow us to truly conserve them by utilizing them as the natural resources which they are. And that by maintaining a healthy, viable, properly managed, captive gene pool, we can offer greater potential for long term survival of two key species, wild and captive alike.

Next, we take a much closer look at current, and future real estate development. Many construction projects may have to wait while thorough, and complete surveys are conducted by the coalition. These would be in places where any human activity could effect habitat or individual animals. Legislation to grant the coalition authority to halt human activity, including real estate development and construction, which would disturb or destroy habitat or animals, in some cases. And it is possible that we may need to find much more creative ways to purchase and preserve, larger, more well connected habitat. Both by government and private ownership of habitat preserves. This equates to things like celebrity endorsement, educational programs, and other promotional and advertisement programs to inspire and promote philanthropic activity and charitable donations.

Next, allow legal live harvest of indigos, and gopher tortoises, by this coalition , on land which is scheduled for construction or under construction, and where these animals would otherwise be destroyed or killed. Take these animals back to State sanctioned, volunteer facilities for research and breeding, overseen by each of those state's governments, within each state, in their natural range. And utilize these rescued animals to begin captive breeding programs in each state. Then allow commerce to be conducted as Federal law currently permits, in all of the states within the natural range. A percentage of all of the offspring from such breeding programs, would be offered for sale to the private sector, on a first come, first serve basis, with the appropriate permits and fees. Private breeders could then produce, and sell offspring. And we would utilize the funds generated from these sales, and from the Federal, and State by State permits, and by state sales taxes, which would be required for such transactions. This would have potential to pay for itself if done properly. It would also provide animals for possible future repatriation efforts. Research to fully asses the possibility of future repatriation projects will be on going. This would be beneficial to all parties involved, while still addressing the main issue, which is the continued existence of these two species.

Simultaneously, we must legalize private ownership, and private captive breeding, and private commerce of both species, in all States where it is currently not legal. And We should encourage world wide involvement. The state, and federal governments may impose permit fees, and sales tax for all transactions. Those revenues would then go back into the breeding/research centers for self sufficience. These centers could be constructed adjacent to habitat preserves and they would sponsor educational/promotional programs and tours. Volunteer involvement will be encouraged as well. Research in areas such as reproduction, repatriation, and genetics will be done at the breeding centers as well.

Serious consideration should be given to the possibility of new restrictions being placed on private ownership of certain reptile species, in areas where they could become established, and are considered invasive, alien species. Certainly the Burmese Python, and the Anaconda, for example, should be at the top of the list in Florida at a minimum. Current owners could be allowed to keep what they have, but reproduction, private ownership, and commerce of these types of reptiles should be severely restricted, as they have potential to further upset the natural balance in indigo/gopher tortoise habitat.

A genetic database should be started and maintained for both the tortoise and the indigo. Along with an official breeders association, which should maintain a studbook as well. Proper breeding and husbandry practices will be promoted among the private sector by this association. Those breeders which do not comply with the standards would be removed from the association, and be bared from further commerce by the coalition.

There are certainly many details to work out. But if we open our minds to the realm of possibility, we realize that whether we like it or not, there is huge national demand for these types of animals in the pet trade. And that currently this activity is allowed in most states. Then we recognize that these things could be beneficial to these species. And it could be much better than what we have done thus far. We see that with the addition of private commerce, and State sanctioned rescue and breeding programs, that this could ensure that generations to come will have the opportunity to see and interact with the gopher tortoise, and the eastern indigo, both in captivity, and in the wild. And that these two National Treasures will live on, no matter what. Even in the face of continued human development and habitat pressure, these two species and many other subsequent species of flora and fauna could be preserved and propagated forever.

Thanks for your consideration. Any questions or comments about this letter may be directed to me at thesnakeman@centurytel.net Currently we are working on a website, but it is under construction at this time. www.indigosforever.org We hope to influence the powers that be to move in this direction. We feel it to be the best course of action for these species. And we hope you will join us. Sincerely,
Anthony Carlisle

Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Ecarinata
Great letter Tony. I also joined yesterday.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
matt rand
Let's keep this going!

Another outfit that does an amazing job preserving critical habitat is the Nature Conservancy. Both the gopher tortoise and the eastern indigo snake are on their radar screen.

to see what they're up to in Florida, check out:

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...tates/florida/

thanks for looking,

matt

Old 08-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
thesnakeman
Matt,
You betcha,...they get my $$ too.
T.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!