Danielle Derosa - beware of - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Mark Allen
Danielle Derosa - beware of

Caution: this gal has been posting Diamondback terrapins for sale on Kingsnake at some pretty good prices for a few weeks.

She is in New Jersey where it's illegal to sale native turtles. (I got her phone number and did a reverse phone lookup).

Now her ads say the turtles are legally collected and sold out of Maryland.

Sounds fishy to me. Beware. Also, I am always very wary of ads that contain mis-spelled words and poor grammer. From the tone of her ads, I'd guess she's about 12.

Mark Allen

Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Neil Gubitz
Mark.... If you're going to berate someone about their spelling and grammar.... you should make very sure you can do it yourself!!....

----------------------------------------
it's illegal to sale native turtles.
----------------------------------------

Neil

Old 04-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
strayvoltage
Angry I used to live in Maryland

And they are protected in that state!!!!! You can not even own one if you reside in Maryland! You certantly can not collect them!

Old 04-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
masterofpythons
Or do you think it may be some kind of sting operation?

Old 04-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
the_reptilian
Well I have emailed her about this. Lets see what she has to say. No need to talk about her with out her being around to defend herself.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
masterofpythons
Yeah, you're right. Probably nothing to this. I apologize.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
ornateterrapin
terrapins

OK!!!!!!!!!

To start off,
it is legal to collect diamondback terrapins in the state in MD>BUT, yes i say but!!!!!!!!! they have to be 6inches or larger.theres a window period that they can be collected for the food markets.which that date is august 1st to may 1st,once may 1st hit the collecting stops,until august 1st.If you wanna look into this more please feel free to contact the maryland department of natural resources!every year i go to the market and i buy as many terrapins as i can,its not cheap so i sell the good ones and i release the terrapins with damaged shells,missing legs,anything that not perfect,which i think is a good thing to do, instead of them being slaughtered(DON'T YOU)!!!!!!i don't understand why people can't just think someone is doing something Legal or out to help.its always someone crying about something.if i don't sell what i have or what i can get, they'll be sent out to be eatten.As soon as may 1st comes around they'll be no more available but i'll have more in august.so if your interested in helping out please feel free to email
thank you and i hope this helped everyone to understand.
danielle

Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
the_reptilian
Sorry Danielle, hope this did not ruin your day. Just thought you should be aware of it.

The BOI serves a good purpose and I find the posts to be entertaining occasionally but like this case, even though he got the phone number (does not say how) it is in my opinion that the person starting the post did not ask her for any information, or call any law enforcement agency and ask, and just assumed her operation was illegal or quote “fishy“. Now if it is or isn’t I don’t know, I don’t know her, but now she has a permanent black mark on her here at the BOI (well I hope it is not that bad). It is just that simple, all the sudden your name is bad because someone did not check facts first.

I am sure no one running a legitimate business would be to happy to find anything like this attached to his or her name. Just stop and think about how you would feel if you found out someone posted on the “world wide” web, that your stuff sounds fishy.

I feel that if someone was really that concerned enough about it and really wanted to do the “right thing“, then maybe the proper authorities should have been contacted first and let the pros handle it. Did you call the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife? Did you call the Maryland Department of Natural Resources? I would like to know.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Danielle,

I'm asking because I don't know. Is it August 1st through May first of the next year, or is it May 1st to August 1st of the same year?

Regards.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
ornateterrapin
Red face Terrapins

thanx for the question?
i'm sorry i didn't clarify it. you can't collected terrapins in the the months of may,june or july.the rest or the months are fine if there awake,plus just alittle info for you
the reason why theres so many females available and not many males is because when the trappers put out the crab pots for days at a time most adult females are unable to fit in it but 90% of the males can,so when they go in its over.so in the wild its around 30 females per male just to give u an idea maybe not that high but up there.so marylands law is crazy but its trying to keep it even with males and females
if anyone has questions please feel free to email
i have alot of knowledge in terrapins
more then most people think
thank you
danielle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!