Wild Sea snakes in Fiji photos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Wild Sea snakes in Fiji photos

Hi, I live in the Fiji Islands, and we see wild sea snakes a lot. Thought some of you might be interested in some pics. I woudln't think these are kept in captivity, as they need a large area of coral reef to hunt on, but I'm new to these snake sites, so maybe I'm in for a surprise.

This is the White-lipped Banded Sea Krait, Laticauda colubrina - very venomous, but small mouthed, back-fanged and extremely docile. I handle them (with respect) whenever encountered.

Photo 1: Krait up a dead tree on a beach - they live and hunt in the sea, and come ashore mostly at night to digest a meal, shed and lay eggs. They'll also climb up a boat engine to bask in the sun, which really freaks diver out....
Check out the adapted paddle-shaped tail for swimming.

Underwater they hunt by swimming slowly among the corals, sticking their heads into crevices. Studies have shown they eat only eels, which they bite, envenom and then swallow. As they hunt underwater they don't even have a strike relex, and that, plus no natural predators, probably accounts for the docility...

Hope these are of some interest to someone!
Cheers,
Helen

Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
I love the clean bands on these snakes. With their demeanor, I imagine it must be hard not to let your guard down when you do handle them. Nice pics!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Tim Cole
WOW!

Nice pictures. We don't get to see those very often.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Very nice, thanks!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Care in handling

Yeh, I'm very careful when handling them, but as long as they are supported from underneath and not pinched they hardly react at all - especially underwater, when they just cruise though your hands as though you were another piece of coral. They have ultra cool dispositions.

There's a resort in Fiji that has so many of them that when people have their islands weddings there, the owner used to walk in front of the bride, kicking them off the jetty back into the sea......

Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Junkyard
Those are beautiful snakes. You know a good deal about them. Feel free to post more photos, I really like the way these look.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Helenthereef
I'll have a look around my archives and see what I can dig up...
Helen

Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
psilocybe
Wow! Those are some amazing photos...Tim is right...we don't get to see "field shots" of those very often here! Keep 'em coming!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Rattlesnake
Some of the best pictures I have ever seen regarding these underwater sea snakes.
Thank you for sharing.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Helenthereef
I'm going to source a few better photos, especially face shots, as there is interest, so watch this space!
Helen

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!