seller backout - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:12 AM   #1
Mickey_TLK
seller backout

I have been stewing about this all week, and Ive decided to test and see if I am being over sensative on this issue, or I am right.

I recently tried to make a purchase of a high end snake (2000 plus) from a for now un-named person on KS. After a number of back and fourth offers we agreed on a price and deal. 16 hours later after 3 "where do I send the money" emails I get an email saying the animals were now sold.

First I would like to say that in the beggining I was turned down with an offer of 2000 cash by the seller, who I might add is one of thoose people who respond in one sentece caps only responces. Then HE emailed me 6 hours later saying ok 2000 its yours.

It all boils down to he had another guy who wanted to buy 1.2 and I only wanted 1.0. Now as a former dealer I do understand a guys desire to sell 3 animals rather then one, but when you agree to a deal, doesnt that mean the deal is done.

I will if need be provide emails of this "transaction". I can and will happily name names if as I feel, I am in the right. However I do not want to be childish and start slamming someone if I am wrong,

I know I could just walk away, but honestly I am rather angry with this situation, and as such felt like typing.

SO am I wrong or is the seller wrong.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 07-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
atl herp guy
I agree if you two made a deal he said its yours and you assured him the money then i would be pretty ticked about the deal. To me that is bad busniess.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
GeckosbyDesign
I feel that this is in the wrong place

It is my understanding that the BOI is for good or bad deals . The initial individual posting names a name of someone and states good or bad. This post in my opinion is looking for thoughts and advice thus belonging in the general discussions board until names are stated and both sides do have a chance to tell their story. I do not mean to pick on you. I just feel that this practice is happening more and more often with different scenerios. If I am wrong in my understanding then I apologize and at the least have a better understanding of the BOI and what its intentions where invented for.
Thanks
Bruce Davis
www.GeckosbyDesign

Old 07-27-2003, 11:58 AM   #4
Wilomn
Had your title been "John Smith backed out of a done deal", have you had this happen to you or watch out for him, then this would be the place for it. But without names and some sort of verification, this is not the right forum. Go ahead and post the name and the email. I would like to know who to be wary of as well. Once you say sold it should actually be sold.

Wes Pollock

Old 07-27-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
Mickey_TLK
wrong place

Bruce

You may be right, and I dont think you are picking on me. I didnt mean to put this in the wrong place, soo if Rich feels it is neccisary he will move it Im sure.

I will likely end up posting names, emails, ect however as stated in the start, I dont want this to be a childish pissing match, so for the time being I was omiting names. But it retrospect I can see how this would be better under general discussion.

Sorry for the extra work webslave.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 07-27-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
Mickey_TLK
posting name

Wes

I was gonna post the name, but I just got an email from a friend I trust and respect advice from urging I dont.

And after looking back, maybe I should have just stewed a bit. I tell you what wes. If you like I will forward you all correspondence un-edited and you could give me an unbiased opinion. But at this point I am kinda hopeing Rich just does me a favor and drops this too no mans land, and then I dont have to take it further.

That being said I in no way feel by posting this I am wrong. I assure you the emails will prove out that this is bad business practice. However is it enough to out a guys name? Not sure. I have no way of knowing the guy isnt as stand up as you or I when it comes to actually finishing a deal, and quality of his animals. I was and am just a little pissed about the way the deal went down.

Who knows, maybe I should have just slept in...lol.

Mickey Hnkle

Old 07-27-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
Mickey_TLK
well, now I did it...>LOL

Ok, Now I am really glad I didnt post names.

Im gonna start by saying believe me if you want.

Yesterday my computer crashed, and I spent 6 hours trying to fix it going soo far as running the restore disks. I hadnt even thought of it when starting this post, untill wes called my bluff and asked for the emails. Well I just went to forward the emails, and low and behold I dont have the emails any longer.

Again believe me if you will.

So in retrospect I am very happy I did not post the name, and now really do hope Rich boots me to the general discussion as I will not be able to back up anything I have said (unless of course the seller kept the emails, and who knows there.)

Sorry I wasted everyones time, and hopefully it will not happen again.

One last thing, I am still unhappy with the situation, just cant back up anything at all now.

Mickey Hinkle

Old 07-27-2003, 12:53 PM   #8
Mickey_TLK
Web Slave is one fast cookie

Thanks Rich, maybe this will save me a little embarasment.

Sorry to make you work on a sunday morning, I am very inconsiderate arent I.

So now that its on a better forum, and the rules are a bit changed, can we get back to the first question.

I am being childish about this and am I wrong.

I know most of you are thinking, why not buy it from someplace else, show your buying power. Well this is the deal, there is no place else at this time or in any concievable time to get the animal in question. Not many were born this season, and its not too likely many more will be. We are talking in the numbers of 11 soo far, male and female. So this is a HIGH DEMAND low supply animal.

That being said, its understandable the seller has all the power. But is that right. If he agrees to a deal, then its a deal. No one forced him to reply to me after rejecting my offer. Then after his reply offering the animal for the amount desired, I asked for a couple other things. Theese things were

1. That I would not pay that much for an animal I KNOW HAD NEVER EATEN in its life, or for the seller. I told him for that kind of money I would pay a 1000.00 deposit and pay the other 1000.00 after the animal had shed once and eaten once.

2. I would not allow it to be shipped airborne, as I had a snake found in route airborne in the past, and am very sketchy about useing them in the future due to this.

He responded to the demands with:

I will hold the animal for a NON REFUNDABLE 1000 deposit with the rest due after feeding and sheding.

I responded no more then 2 minutes later with

ITs a deal, tell me when and where to send the deposit

This was very late at night and I did not get a responce so figured he had called it a night after "completeing" a deal.

The next day I see an add for 1.3 remaing snakes from 2.2

I assume ok, he allready is counting mine as sold, great.

Emailed him around 4 that afternoon

Whats up, where do I send the deposit, want to let you know I am serious. Ect, ect, makeing sure not to loose ou on the deal.

Send another email around 7 that evening same thing

About 10 minutes later get a return email

Sorry been at work 16 hours, sold a 1.2 group sorry cant help you. If I decide to sell ones I am keeping will call you.

That line made me hold out on the original post, as I felt maybe I still had a shot, and didnt want to piss off someone I allready knew was not ethical.

Now tell me this, how does a guy work 16 hours straight, yet have time to sell animals he sold once. post them again on ks, ect. Yet he cant tell me he backed out on the deal. He cant tell me I am now on the back burner cause he has another party interested.

Let say you are buying a house, and the seller agrees to your market value offer (not a low ball bid) and 10 days before close gets a bid for 10,000 more. Well tough, thats the way it goes. They agreed to a deal. This is the same thing.

Honestly I would love to and may still post the guys name. However withought emails to back it up, It may be a looseing battle. But this is wrong, and not the way to run a business. It should not have to be put up with.

I know buyers back out all the time, and I cant say I havent come close myself. But as a prio vendor, I know a deal is a deal. Its one thing for a person to email a seller asking questions, showing interest, making them work, and then backing out. But if a DEAL IS DONE a DEAL IS DONE. No matter if you can make an extra buck or sell a couple more animals out of it.

So thats my side in a nutshell, whos wrong

Mickey Hinkle

Old 07-27-2003, 01:27 PM   #9
E2MacPets
Mickey,

I can vouch for the fact that you've been stewing over this and its not something you just made up.

I think the only thing you can do, however, is just wait until an inquiry is made by someone else and then offer up your experience. You really don't have enough evidence other than your word and your reputation to support a bad guy thread.

Who knows, you might get your chance when the new buyer recieves the animals, in which case you'll be happy to have missed out on this purchase.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:45 PM   #10
dwedeking
Mickey,

Yes it's something to get mad over. Yes it's a reason to not work with someone again. I don't think it's a thing to post on a public forum (other than a rant post about sellers in general like you did to get it out of your system).

I had a similiar experience when I first got into dragons. Emailed back and forth. Agreed on everything. I didn't have PayPal set up so I told the breeder I would send a check and the expected arrival date. I understand about people saying they will send a check and don't, so I asked if this was acceptable to the guy before I mailed it. This was for a specific animal I was looking for and not a response from one of his ads. So the day the check is supposed to arrive I called. Yep, it was there but he sold the dragon the day before. As this was an animal I specifically was requesting I didn't haggle over price, sent payment promptly and was bent at how the deal was concluded. So when ever anyone inquires about him on the BOI they get an email from me explaining what I think of the guy.

I just don't think it's a serious enough offense for a public posting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!