General BCI question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Ophion
General BCI question

So I got a lovely 3-year-old 5ft female BCI yesterday in a (slight unexpected) trade. She is a (current no name) sweetheart and I have her setup, but I am honestly a little lost when it comes to a hide. I don't know of any made that are large enough for her. I gave her a box in temporary and she used it, now she is curled up next to it. I just don't know if she needs the hide and I am being silly or if she does what be some good ideas. I would rather provide her with something if she might use it than not and cause potential stress. I don't have a reptile room (will in a few months if that makes a difference) so I don't want the extra activity to be bothersome.

Any thoughts and ideas would be great I am happy to learn.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
ShadowAceD
What kind of cage is she kept in? If it has everything enclosed except for the front, she probably does not care for the hide. I offer hides to all my boas, but my larger females tend to ignore their's unless they are in shed.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Ophion
She's in a currently in a tank. It is in an area that the side aren't really exposed, but I was debating block them off on the tank to make it feel a bit more secure. Maybe I should do that anyway and just keep her hide whether she uses in or not? What do you typically use? I just have a box since thats all I had big enough. Of course she used it last night half in - it is big enough for her, but whatever she wants to do. Now she's just lounging out curled up next to it.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
ShadowAceD
I have a variety of hides, but for the bigger animals, I just buy a cat litter pan, cut a hole in it and burn the edges with a light to smooth them out. Simple and cheap. If she is in a tank I'd cover all sides but the front. It would make her feel more secure. But, for the most part, a boa will use a hide when it feels like it. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Ophion
That is a clever idea. I was thinking of something like a plastic bin, but didn't think of a cat litter pan. I will definitely cover the sides of the tank when I get home. Thank you very much for the help.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
ShadowAceD
Welcome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!