Getting first time males breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
aeterrabyte
Getting first time males breeding

How can I get my first time males breeding this year. Females have been cooling for a good while now. 76-78 ambient, 88 day time on off at night. I have seen no lock ups just some corting activating from my one male? I have a 1000 gram pastel butter, a 800 gram pastel het clown, and a 500 gram blackplastel albino. I am trying to get them into the females. Any suggestions?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
B&C Ball Pythons
I'm having the same problem with one of my younger males. These are the tricks I have read about and tried to no avail, but he's probably just not ready:

-Mist both of the snakes
-Place a shed from another breeding male in the tub w/the other male and female
-Place a sperm plug from another male on the female
-Supervised male combat (I didn't try this one.)
-Empty the water bowl into the tub (I didn't try this one.)

Hope one of these works for you. Good luck

Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
cahrens
How old are they? I've had no luck with yearling males. Even at 700 grams. Given another year they do great. Double check and make sure they're males. How long are you leaving them paired up?

Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
aeterrabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahrens View Post
How old are they? I've had no luck with yearling males. Even at 700 grams. Given another year they do great. Double check and make sure they're males. How long are you leaving them paired up?
They have been together since november now. They are just hanging out. I was going to try the male combat thing. But I got to go to the vet now for the other snake. When I get back.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
cahrens
I would cycle the males through the females. Together for 2-3 days, then separate for a week.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
charlene.dourty
We have a few first time males we are trying to breed this year. So far, 2 out of 4 are breeding while the other two are not. We have been alternating the two that aren't breeding in with our pastel female (both are fire males). We have been doing this for the past month. One fire in for 2-3 days, then the other fire in 2-3 days. Today, finally after doing this for a month, one of them is actually trying to lock. We mist our male/female pairs when we first introduce them. We have even tried putting them in with our dominate male (supervised). We read somewhere that if you put first time males in with dominate, proven breeders, the proven breeders will "teach" them how to be successful. I don't know if it had any positive effect but one of the fire males that we put in with our hypo proven male is trying to lock as we speak. He lined up but just hasn't got the "lock" part done. I blame the female a little on this as I don't think she is quite ready. Hope this helps!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterrabyte View Post
They have been together since november now. They are just hanging out. I was going to try the male combat thing. But I got to go to the vet now for the other snake. When I get back.
I would try the keeping them separated and pair them occasionally

It doesn't take males fighting each other to get them to breed, just some patience and proper husbandry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!