Another FAKE pastel ad from Geni Mullins - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-31-2004, 02:39 PM   #91
David Reid
My opinion

The term Pastel, in Ball Pythons, is an accepted name for a proven Ball Python morph. If you use it to advertise normal Ball Pythons, it is false advertising, plain and simple. If you are ignorant of the verbage used to sell your product, do not buy or sell a product you do not know enough about. It is that simple. If someone sold you the original snake in this thread as a Pastel, then go back to them and let them know they sold you a normal animal as a Pastel. The excuse that someone is using the term "pastel" only as a discription is rediculous. I have never heard anyone call a normal a pastel unless they were trying to be deceptive. High yellow, high gold, etc, yes, discriptive, and not a recognized proven morph name.

If someone is selling a CH African Ball, origins unknown, genetics unknown, and wants to sell it as a new line, or possible new line, that is different. A new line Albino is still an albino. A new line Pastel is still a Pastel. A new line high orange, that may be genetic, or may not be is up to you the buyer to decide on. I bought a CH (the only CH in my collection) bright orange Ball from Russo. It may or may not be genetic, he did not promise that it was genetic, stating only that it looks similar to his Halloween line. I bought it based on the fact that it looked nice, and might be a new morph. She is unproven, and honestly looks better than many proven Pastels as adults, so who knows. IF I sold her, I would not list her as a Pastel, but a nice orange animal that is of unknown origin, and unproven.

It is very easy to identify the "quick buck" sellers, based on the ignorance of their product. If you do not know what you are buying, do not buy it, worse yet, if you buy something and try to sell it as a morph....

Dave

Old 07-31-2004, 09:29 PM   #92
bpc
Hope there are no problems calling this a "pastel boa," as I'm about to post it. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2004, 09:31 PM   #93
bpc
Damn, crappy pic. I'll try again. Least it shows the color.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:34 PM   #94
dumje
Too many people jump to conclusions on this board...yes there are people that try and scam others on the interent by mislabeling their animals on purpose...but...just because you are in the reptile business does not mean you know every animal...a former partner and friend of mine was attacked by these boards months ago based soley on the fact that he was trying to sell a normal ball as a "pastel". Yes...in fact it was not a pastel...but he had recieved it as a part of a trade...he had no interest in keeping the animal so he decide to sell it...yet everyone insisted he was trying to scam people...when in fact he was just ignorant of what he had...he was duped...because he did not know...fortunatly he was able to get his animal back...all situations must be looked at indepenedent of all the others then a proper assesment of scam or not a scam could be made.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #95
dumje
I should have said it was traded to him as a pastel he did not know any better.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:52 PM   #96
bpc
Better pics I hope!
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #97
bpc
Am I safe calling this pastel???
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #98
David Reid
That is a nice boa...

BUT, Boas and Ball Python Pastels are two different things. Ball Pastels are proven co dom gentical morphs. If I am not mistaken, I think the Pastel Boa is just a line bred animal, with nice colors. There may be a genetic Pastel line Boa, but I am not sure. As for your Boa, call it a possible Pastel, unproven genetically, and you should be safe.

As for the guy who had a partner who traded for a Pastel and tried to sell it as a Pastel but got hammered here for trying to sell a normal as a Pastel...........IF YOU ARE IN THE REPTILE BUSINESS, KNOW YOUR PRODUCT. If you are a Bearded Dragon guy, stick with Bearded Dragons, UNLESS you want to get into Balls and LEARN about the genetics BEFORE you buy/sell or trade Balls.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #99
bpc
I think the point some of us are trying to make is this: why are yall so quick to bring out the hammer?

Quote:
As for the guy who had a partner who traded for a Pastel and tried to sell it as a Pastel but got hammered here for trying to sell a normal as a Pastel...........IF YOU ARE IN THE REPTILE BUSINESS, KNOW YOUR PRODUCT
It is simply not possible to know everything there is to know about every reptile. Many of us do in fact deal with reptiles we know little or sometimes even nothing about. It happens. It would be nice if everyone could make a living dealing only with animals they are familiar with, but that is often unrealistic.

Ball pythons are extremely popular right now, as such, if you want people to visit yout website, or stand in front of your booth at a show, you'd better have some. Every once and awhile people get something that is different. Those "different" animals can command higher prices, but we're often not sure want to call them. Now yes, it would be great, if every person spent 6 months studying the various aspects of BP genetics before ever placing an ad, but that too, is unrealistic.

There are "normal" balls out there which look a lot like pastel jungles. And if you knew nothing about the genetics behind pastel jungles, it would be quite easy to make that mistake. And yes, certainly, there are those who are actually trying to rip people off. But many times, some of you come off as if EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the planet knows the genetic story, and is simply out to rip people off. I promise you that is not the case.

Ask them a few questions, and maybe send them a NICE email, BEFORE you get out the hammer! I think you'll be happier w/ the way people react.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #100
David Reid
So, let me get this straight

If you are out to make a quick buck in the Ball Python craze, it is acceptable to know nothing about the genetics, try to sell normals as proven genetic morphs? If you get caught, you plead Ball ignorance, or, your spouse posted the pics, wrong pic, wrong snake, you were in a car wreck and have not had time to change it, it is your partners snake, and you just posted for them....you know what, is sounds like alot of EXCUSES to me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!