Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - Page 17 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #161
TripleMoonsExotic
A while back I had suggested a button to be set at the bottom of each user posts that when clicked, runs a search for the username or name of the person in the BOI and displays the results. We used to have one for Ads (Where did that go? Loved the feature.). It would solve some problems in regards to people being too lazy to manually run a search. It would however require custom programming, something Rich has not been keen on adding onto the custom features already in place here.

It isn't hard to contact someone in the classifieds, click the name and a drop down appears with the options to send a private message or email.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #162
lauraleellbp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
If all replies are stopped in any ad, what would the proper response be if someone posts an ad that misrepresents the animal? For instance, someone posts a "For sale, one ball python very tame, $50" ad with the pic showing a retic. Should a reader go "Well, I know that's not a ball" and move on, ignoring it? Should they only send a PM to the poster, saying "That's a retic" and hope they are just honest and posted the wrong picture and will fix it? Or post a thread in discussion saying "Hey, is this a ball python or a retic?" with a link to the ad?

Just wondering about hypothetical situations. I personally do not care one way or the other about non-disruptive comments in ads, i.e. the "Nice snake, those colors are super bright for that locality" type things. I know those bump ads, and some would be honest "Good snake!" comments and some would be deliberate attempts to bump the ad. I think that posting a active BOI Bad Guy thread link in a ad is a good thing. I would ASSUME that a good seller would post his own BOI good guy links if he wanted to, so posting good links would be kind of silly. But then if a buyer doesn't want to take time to research the seller on the BOI ON THE SAME SITE THE AD IS ON, then I don't feel anyone should need to hold their hand to point out a BOI Bad Guy thread either. They can click the buttons themselves.

I personally don't think there is any such thing as a "overpriced" animal for sale. If the seller wants $5000 for a normal corn snake, it's THEIR animal and they can put that price tag on the snake. If someone feels they want that snake badly enough to pay five grand for it, then it's a fair price. If you don't like that price and think it's utterly ridiculous to pay that much, no one is twisting your arm to buy it! Move on! Buy elsewhere.

I do prefer to have things like the snake's feeding and such to be mentioned, but if it is not, it is equally easy for me to contact the seller via PM and ask that myself. A locked ad doesn't mean anything to me, since I'm fully able to look up a bad guy in the BOI all by myself. See, I have fingers and thumbs so I can type up the search on the site. If someone has no BOI entries, and I've never heard of them, I can even start a Inquiry thread to ask if people say good things or bad things.

The mods have stated repeatedly that there's a LOT of infractions being handled. That's not "only a few are causing all of us to be punished". That's a lot of people screwing around because they don't know the rules, don't care about the rules or just want to cause trouble. If it was only a few people, they'd have been banned by now and there wouldn't be any issue to address.

As far as sending a PM to each and every member, geez... the banner announcements in more than one place plus a whole thread explaining it aren't enough? I prefer NOT getting a email or PM every time there's some policy change, just because some people refuse to read announcements in the section they're in, OR the thread announcing the change.

It's kind of ridiculous to argue that it's being a "daddy" to stop chatter in ads and therefor not allowing discussion outside of the discussion sections... but then to claim the site should be a "daddy" and police all the ads for possible illegal activites. Which way is it? Police the site or not? The mods have all but said that IF a illegal ad is placed and it's obviously illegal it can be pulled. They also have bluntly said they won't SAY that the site will pull illegal ads because that would make them legally saying that the ads that ARE here are legal in nature. I haven't seen a single ad selling cocaine or nuclear weapons, but I bet if one was posted, the mods would pull it. As far as whether a subspecies of toad is legal in someone's personal county, the mods cannot be held to knowing every single law and restriction. If you see something illegal, you can PM the seller, report the ad with a link to the actual laws on the official website AND send a link to the ad to the authorities. You can also start a discussion on the discussion sections or EVEN post a Inquiry on the person, if you think you have proof they are selling a illegal animal... right?

All in all, if people prefer KS to Fauna, they can go over there. If they prefer Fauna, they can stay here. If they want to start their own site and run things their way, they can do that. It's pretty obvious that Fauna allows a lot of "free speech" here or all the replies in the thread here wouldn't be here. People will discuss changes and state their opinions, good or ill. Some sites wouldn't even allow that. Someone posting that the mods just don't want to do their jobs would be banned from a LOT of sites.

I'm not super active here, but it's a good resource for me. And if someone doesn't have the money to become a contributer and is buying snakes, they are CHOOSING to not be a contributer. You aren't required to be one to participate, but paid members should get perks that non-paid members don't get.

I think it's easy enough to send a PM to a poster by using the screenname drop-down menu, but some forum newbies may have a hard time finding that... Some forums have a "send PM" button right on the bottom of everyone's posts- it would be in the same row as the one on here now where you can quote, look up ads, etc. Maybe that would be helpful, if it's not a big deal to code/add?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #163
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
We used to have one for Ads (Where did that go? Loved the feature.).
It's still there, you can't see it?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #164
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
It's still there, you can't see it?
Nope. I haven't seen it in months. It's not visible in Mac FireFox. Just checked it in Safari and it is visible in that browser. Site's not cross-browser compatible.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #165
lauraleellbp
The Ads button is there for me in Google Chrome and IE.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #166
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
When you click on a classified ad, down at the bottom there are several links to other ads that share keywords (related posts, I believe). Most of the time they are just old ads from years and years ago.

Is there a way that it could search the BOI and post BG/GG links (on the OP) similar to that of the sale ads? I think that would greatly increase the use of the BOI and bring greater visibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
A while back I had suggested a button to be set at the bottom of each user posts that when clicked, runs a search for the username or name of the person in the BOI and displays the results. We used to have one for Ads (Where did that go? Loved the feature.). It would solve some problems in regards to people being too lazy to manually run a search. It would however require custom programming, something Rich has not been keen on adding onto the custom features already in place here.

It isn't hard to contact someone in the classifieds, click the name and a drop down appears with the options to send a private message or email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I think it's easy enough to send a PM to a poster by using the screenname drop-down menu, but some forum newbies may have a hard time finding that... Some forums have a "send PM" button right on the bottom of everyone's posts- it would be in the same row as the one on here now where you can quote, look up ads, etc. Maybe that would be helpful, if it's not a big deal to code/add?
I'm sending specs to my programmer right now to see if we can implement all of the above.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #167
RachelSS
I was actually irritated at first by this new policy but now I feel like I don't have to sift through pages of crap to find a good ad and not a bunch of talk.

So.... I think it's great

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #168
bsharrah
Quote:
If all replies are stopped in any ad, what would the proper response be if someone posts an ad that misrepresents the animal? For instance, someone posts a "For sale, one ball python very tame, $50" ad with the pic showing a retic. Should a reader go "Well, I know that's not a ball" and move on, ignoring it? Should they only send a PM to the poster, saying "That's a retic" and hope they are just honest and posted the wrong picture and will fix it? Or post a thread in discussion saying "Hey, is this a ball python or a retic?" with a link to the ad?
How would you handle it on KS or other sites that don't allow replies to ads?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #169
Wolfy-hound
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
How would you handle it on KS or other sites that don't allow replies to ads?
I don't really use other sites much, so I don't know, but I'm asking specifically what the mods feel would be the appropriate response on HERE. Not on other sites, but what they want a user to do in a case like that on here.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #170
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
I don't really use other sites much, so I don't know, but I'm asking specifically what the mods feel would be the appropriate response on HERE. Not on other sites, but what they want a user to do in a case like that on here.
Harald hit that nail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Posting BOI links and (politely) pointing out misrepresentations are also accepted. Those are the type of posts that are allowed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!