Drinking water for leos? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2004, 03:50 AM   #1
geckokreeper
Question Drinking water for leos?

I was wondering if anyone gives their leos tap water? I have always givin my leos Arrowhead mountain spring water as I dont like dealing with the treatment drops they have out there. I also never knew if it was OK to give them tap water or not? I hear theres alot of chemicals in tap water and all so I never wanted to try it. But now with my collection growing so much they are starting to drink up all my water lol. So should I switch to Aquafina lol? Seriously though have any of you givin your leos tap water for a while and have not had any problems? I dont think it would cause any problems but with leos being so small it seems like the smallest trace of chlorine or another chemical could hurt the leos. I know a few times when Ive had straight tap it has upset my stomach a little so it might do the same to a leo. Sorry for the dumb question just wanted to ask before (if) I decide to switch them over to tap water. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:13 AM   #2
MattP
My leos have always had tap water and seem to do fine. I took a class called Environment and Society and learned that in most areas of the country it really doesn't matter if you drink tap water or bottled water. All the chemicals that bottled water is supposed to protect you from are unavoidable........ You don't see people breathing bottled air, and the air we breath is actually worse for us than Tap water we drink.......... now if your tap water is infected with carcinogens then that is a different story, but most tap water is perfectly safe. You can run from the chemicals, but you can't hide from them............ everything we eat, breath, and drink has chemicals that are bad for us........ why do people get cancer?............. We can't hide from the chemicals.

Matt

Old 11-18-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Tribal Gecko
I run off of well water, but normally if you put tap water in an open container, such as a pitcher, most of the chemicals evaporate after 24 hours. I'm not sure of the exacts on that, but you could look into it. Hope that helped a little anyway :P

Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
geckokreeper
The water down here is safe I would think but like you said they all have chemicals. I just often see the tap water looks a bit cloudy for about 30 seconds or so before it goes clear. Someone told me it was oxygen that was floating out but Im not sure. But thanks for the feedback guys. I think I may swith em over but Im not positive yet. They want their Arrowhead and they are able to retaliate if I dont come through for em lol.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
robin d.
we have crappy water so we bought one of those PUR water filters that attach to the faucet. we use water run through that on our leos... seems to work well.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #6
Sluefoot26
I use distilled water from the store. tap water is probably okay, but I would probably take the time to boil some and let it cool, and then pour out it in a container to be used for your Leo's? Just a thought.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
I have always used Tap Water.
It isnt a problem here, I have well water, so it is basically spring water anyways, no chemicals or anything.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
t.l.gecko
I just put tap water into a pitcher and let it sit for 24hrs it has always worked on my leos

Old 11-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
gurnham4
I use a brita filter. We just filter our water in one of the pitchers and keep it in the fridge at all times. I use it because I live in the city and our water is really hard and has some nasty chemicals (did a water test on it for my fish and the levels were way out of wack compaired to water in other places i have kept my fish)

Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
LadyGecko
I have always used RO(Reverse Osmosis) water for my reptiles-i bought a used RO unit when I was really into keeping tropical fish so there was no added expense except for the filters that have to be changed occasionally.
Our water is also crappy.
Again because of the fish tanks- I have tested our tap water and we have ammonia and nitrites not to mention the chlorine and whatever else is added at the water treatment plant here.
I do not drink the tap water here anymore- it is simply foul and I do not understand how they can allow this quality of water to be deemed safe for human consumption.
The ammonia and nitrates are run off from the numerous soy bean and corn fields all around the town where I live-there is no getting away from it.
I guess that i figure if I don't drink it-why give it to my reptiles?
Sandy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!