Crotalus - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Rattlesnake
Crotalus

Has anyone come across any Crotalus so far this year? If so, please list which species and where you observed the reptile, ie-- what county, or state? Thank You.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
scalesnstuff
Dusky Pigmy Rattler

I found what looks like a baby (5-6 inches long) Dusky Pigmy in Glynn county, Georgia a couple of weeks ago.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Tim Cole
Observations....

I have been seeing atrox here in Central Texas since March. Sunday I will be going out to West Texas to observe Mojaves, Blacktails, and Lepidus.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Rattlesnake
Thanks gentlemen, I am trying to find out as much as I can about Crotalus sightings this year for a paper I am composing. If anyone else observes any Crotalus, I would be greatly apprecitative. I enjoy seeing the neonates at this time of year. They are so interesting, being exact miniatures of their parents.
Sounds like you, Tim, are going to have a great time out there. Happy Herping, please let me know if you see many Crotalus?

Old 05-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
old guy
The 2 species of crotalus and

sistrurus plus the non-native crotalus has been seen in Kansas for about a month now. We have had a very strange last month and a half of climatic weather conditions. hot to very hot, cool to downright cold, drought, rain in some parts and tons of it but seeped in ground immediately. One day in the middle 90ties then next day in the 70ties. Nights in the upper 60ties low 70ties then nights in the upper 40ties. The non-native species I talk of is the atrox let go/re-introduced for what reason of a state park in central mid Kansas ( yeh! Some of you know about this ). They had that blame rattlesnake hunt/derby/event out west last weekend or the weekend before in Kansas. I have no idea how it went or how freaking successful it was but will find out soon ! The good ONLY good thing was C. viridis was allowed to be collected/brought in only and there was a how many numbers restriction put on. But this had changed from other years as to being higher as I had reported earlier and in my opinion a step backward.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Rattlesnake
Come on people. A little more input would be nice. I know a lot of you have encounters with Crotalus in the wild. Give me some details.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
maxrr
Hope it's not too late...

I've only observed atrox this year so far; it's been a crappy year for snake hunting for me:

Waurika, OK 1 adult
Loma Alta, TX 1 adult
Lake Arrowhead, TX 1 juvenile
Iraan, TX 1 yearling (maybe younger)
I've also seen 2 DOR's...

Hope that helps...

Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Tim Cole
lepidus...

I found 4 leps with 2 being gravid females on my West Texas trip a couple weeks ago. Also saw 2 atrox, molossus, and a scut on that trip.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!